Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after shutting down and restarting my PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nparab

nparab

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have the following PC config:

Processor: Intel Pentium G620 @ 2.60 GHz.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 

RAM: 8 GB

Hard Drive: 500 GB

My PC works perfectly fine as long as I don't shut it down. But when I DO shut it down and try starting it again I'm facing the following problems:

1. Sometimes it detects the HDD, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to unplug the SATA cable and plug it back again into the motherboard port.

2. This is the worst problem: it corrupts my bootloader. It doesn't matter which OS I use (Win 10 or Ubuntu). I have to run a Ubuntu Live CD and use the Boot-Repair utility to rectify the problem and get back into the OS (Windows Startup Repair does not work). And I'm NOT multi-booting the OSes. I have tried installing ONLY Win 10, ONLY Ubuntu, and still the problem persists.

Could this be a hardware problem? Motherboard or HDD or RAM? Or a BIOS issue (I haven't messed about in the BIOS at all, but still you never know)? Is there any way / software to narrow down on the malfunctioning component?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by nparab, 26 February 2018 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

Sometimes it detects the HDD, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to unplug the SATA cable and plug it back again into the motherboard port.

My first suggestion is to replace the SATA data cable. If it still persists, then swap the power cable with another coming from your power supply. If still problems, swap the port on the mobo with another just to test.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

If the problem still persists, then the drive is at fault.  I keep a number of spares so a control card for the drive might solve the "hard reset" fault.  Worst case, both the MOBO SATA ports are bad.

#4 nparab

nparab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:23 AM

Sometimes it detects the HDD, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to unplug the SATA cable and plug it back again into the motherboard port.

My first suggestion is to replace the SATA data cable. If it still persists, then swap the power cable with another coming from your power supply. If still problems, swap the port on the mobo with another just to test.

Done that the first time it gave me the error. Changed the SATA data cable. I haven't tried swapping the power cable coming from the power supply. I'll try that the next time it comes up. I forgot to mention an important point / problem in my original post: The PC keeps restarting by itself, even after shutdown. Could this indicate a faulty power supply? Or faulty motherboard?

If the problem still persists, then the drive is at fault.  I keep a number of spares so a control card for the drive might solve the "hard reset" fault.  Worst case, both the MOBO SATA ports are bad.

I have tried it on all 8 SATA ports on the motherboard. All of them can't be bad, unless the board itself has gone bad?

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

usually a restarting pc is a sign that the power supply is going bad.  now that you mention this fact, i would start with replacing the power supply.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

The PC keeps restarting by itself, even after shutdown. Could this indicate a faulty power supply? Or faulty motherboard?

I have seen a bad power switch that is shorting cause unusual problems like this. If your unit has completely shut down, black monitor screen, etc. and suddenly starts again, that means that something is making the circuit boot connection again. A bad power switch, including a bad reset switch could cause this. Easy to check. Trace the wire lead coming from the power switch and connecting to the motherboard. Gently pull the plug off where it plugs into the mobo, revealing two tiny contacts. Now let it sit. If it does not suddenly start again after a period of time, reconnect it. If suddenly you have the same problem again, you have found the problem: a bad power switch. Also, I once had a reset switch go bad, and the computer started suddenly shutting down on me. Took me a while to discover it was the reset button and after I disconnected it all problems stopped.

The only way to check a power supply is to swap it with another. If you cannot get your hands on one, you might want to invest in a dedicated power supply tester.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users