Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Figure It Out..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 okuth0r

okuth0r

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

I bought the following list of parts to upgrade my system. Built it this friday and im gatting some issue im not sure about how to fix ...

Rosewill RE502-SLV ATX1.3 500W Aluminum Power Supply
ASRock 939Dual-VSTA Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
POWERCOLOR X800GTO256MBDDR3 Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

I Installed everything, useing 3GB dual channel memory i was useing before, PC3200, installed the new drive, loaded windows xp pro with no issues (system runs about 46C in bios). System came up when done, installed avast anti virus, Kerio personal firewall, and Mozilla firefox. After this the screen went black... and never came back... (est time 5 min to lockup)
restarted by power switch, system came up, after getting up trying to access old drive (as slave) system locked up (screen froze, no mouse movement) and never came back. reset again, but these 2 issues continually return..

unplugged all but main hd...no change
New Heatsink (dropped temp from about 51 at bios to about 46)
changed power supply(to old one 425W)... no change
changed video card back to old agp 9800 pro, system worked but was choppy and slow...
bought new motherboard, that one gives bluee screen and reboots.. taking it back..
have not tried old hard drive as main... not sure why? program conflict?

old motherboard is p4 with agp so not much i can change inbetween..

I put it all back together hooked all drives back up.. system appeared to work fine, played a flash game online, accessed the second drive all looked good... and then it froze and went to black screen... (after about 2 hours)

What now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

Have you installed the motherboard/chipset drivers and the other hardware drivers for things like your video card, sound card, network card, etc?

Try checking your event viewer for error messages ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )

Edited by usasma, 02 October 2006 - 03:33 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

hi, okuthor,

sound like it is a graphics problem, with your new setup, double check the card is seated correctly and that the fan is connected and working, graphic cards can get really hot, try powering up with the cover off and a desk fan blowing over the interior and see if you fare better that way.

if your computer can monitor the graphics card temps maybe keep an eye on that.

#4 okuth0r

okuth0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

Will double check drivers, i put in the mo bo cd and it only had 2 drivers that applied (lan and soemthing else, others i wasent useing)

Card has a fan on it, but no external power conn (unlike my old 9800 pro), have 4 case fans, one of which is side mounted. I havent checked but it dosent seem to be getting too hot in there..

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

changed video card back to old agp 9800 pro, system worked but was choppy and slow...

Does that mean the system didn't freeze or go down after you removed the Radeon X800GTO?

Your processor is dual channel.
Does the MB support dual channel, and if it does, how do you divide 3 gigs of RAM into matched, equal amounts for each channel?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users