Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden BSOD Issue - Startup Repair Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chefelf

chefelf

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:18 PM

Hi, All,

Tonight I went to my studio computer to find the screen was on Startup Repair saying it could not repair this computer automatically.  I tried rebooting Windows Normally and got BSOD. I tried Startup Repair several more times.  Usually it was just frozen with no ability to TAB or use arrows to select anything.  One time it gave me the option to report to Microsoft and look at the problem details.

I have not installed any new hardware recently.  I've installed a couple of programs but I've been using the computer nonstop for weeks without issue since installing the last program I used.  I've tried starting in SAFE MODE but repeatedly pressing F8 will not get me to safe mode like normal.  Startup only brings me to the screen which asks me if I want to do Startup Repair or start Windows normally.

My main boot drive is a Samsung Solid State drive.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Attached are some screen shots of my issues.

Attached Files

Edited by chefelf, 25 February 2018 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chefelf

chefelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Sorry to bump but after more investigating I'm not finding a real answer.  Anyone have an idea as to whether this may be hardware or software related?  I just purchased a new HDD which I will use to reinstall Windows 7 to see if that fixes the issue.   My current drive is a SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s.  Replacing with Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM).

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

0xF4s are nearly always disk related, particularly at boot time. As you're using an SSD however, we can't really test if it's defective. Of course feel free to try running SeaTools for DOS.

For now, I would install Windows on your SSD and see if the blue screens stop. If they do, it's fair to conclude that the old SSD was defective or (perhaps consequently) the operating system got corrupted beyond reasonable repair.

We could try running CHKDSK, but it may not be the best idea as it could make the situation worse.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 chefelf

chefelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the reply!  I ended up getting and installing Windows on a new drive.  The fresh install works fine.  I was able to get all data off the old drive so at this point I may just take it out of commission.  Maybe I'll run SeaTools to check it out.

Thanks for your reply!  Definitely going to turn on system restore this time and make a good disc image so I don't have to deal with this again.

Thanks again!

Edited by chefelf, 28 February 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:14 PM

Glad to hear that! Yes, System Restore should ALWAYS be on, but keep in mind that it won't save you form hardware malfunctions — what will save you are backups. :)

If you're interested in the old SSD, here are some Windows-based diagnostics (both are free):

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 chefelf

chefelf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

Thanks again.  Yeah, I'm not sure why it wasn't turned on in the first place but I won't be making that mistake again.  :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users