Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed - deliberately shoddy video copying by police

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trachys

trachys

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

In 2012, a surveillance camera captured an incident.  A DVR video file was recorded by a DVD player to a CD-R disc.  Police then "worked" on the file.

I have a copy of a report by a forensic video analyst which details the work, but before I share what was done, I would really appreciate hearing from someone more knowledgeable than I (so, anyone) on how the DVR file should have been copied, in order to minimize data loss.

All opinions welcome!

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2018 - 01:00 PM.
Moved from A/V Apps to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

If you simply copy a file, there is no data loss. What's the point of not giving any information to work with?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 trachys

trachys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, Platypus.

Okay.

1. The DVR file was copied from the disc to the local drive.

2. A DVR player played the file. A screen capture program called Omnivore captured the digital representation as a .MOV file.

3. Camtasia Studio was then used to convert that file to .AVI.

4. Another program was used to create a DVD video disc from the .AVI file.

It looks like this was done so that a date/time caption could be added to the video, but the end result is barely legible. I wonder, would a direct copy of the 'original' DVR have substantially better quality?

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

I don't understand what your trying to do?

any video that has been modified from the original format is not usable by the police.   video has to remain in an unedited from the original source to be usable in court.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

I am surprised that the original surveillance imagery did not include time and date, this is a critical aspect of such imagery without which it is not much use in court.

But yes, every time you process an image or a video clip you lose some data so it is probable that all this processing has reduced the quality somewhat.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 trachys

trachys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

Okay. Fingers crossed that police forensics still have the original file, and the court will persuade them to give me a (decent) copy of it.

My thanks to all who replied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users