Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email spam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 digorok

digorok

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

My email must have been sold.  I've been getting lots of spam. 

I add it to the block list and mark it as spam.

Does this do any good?????

Anything else I can do???

Win10

DSL

Provider is Hawaiian tel  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

If it is all coming from the one server yes, setting a block rule like '*@bloggs.com' will usually work, it it apears to be coming from different servers then you are trying to play whack-a-mole and you are better looking at a text rule if they have common wording. This is where you can block an email with a particular phrase.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

I'll check and see what the address is.

I think it's all from the same place.

Coming from the uk.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

I would be shocked if your e-mail service provider does not include a spam filtering option.  In using Gmail and (even though I haven't actively used it in ages) Yahoo mail I would only have perhaps one spam message in a hundred actually make it to my inbox.

If you are using an e-mail client or your provider's webmail it definitely does help to mark spam messages that were not identified as such before hitting your inbox.  Virtually all of the filters "learn" based on users marking material as spam.  This is a great feature if users only mark actual spam as spam.  I have seen it wreak havoc on mailing lists where a few members decide they no longer want messages and rather than unsubscribing they mark the messages as spam.   Spam information gets shared among major service providers and there have been multiple instances of certain perfectly legitimate mailing lists getting blacklisted as spam because individuals who should have unsubscribed were using the spam marker method instead.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 digorok

digorok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

My provider is suppose to have a filter, as well as firewall and AV.

I'm not sure how good it is.

I keep on getting spam even if I do flag it.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

My provider is suppose to have a filter, as well as firewall and AV.

I'm not sure how good it is.

I keep on getting spam even if I do flag it.

Everyone gets spam, even with excellent filtering.  There are always the first examples of a "spam style" that hasn't been seen before.  Once the filters are updated that style disappears and another takes its place.

The only way to avoid spam is to eschew e-mail altogether.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 G245

G245

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

For the past 2 months I was receiving several spam e-mails daily.   There was a definite pattern; each sent e-mail was spoofed in a similar manner.  Sender was - an insurance company, a government agency, but if I hovered the cursor over the senders name the real sender was depicted  And it was an obvious attempt to falsify who the real sender was.  Additionally - the hyperlinks in the spam all pointed to a similar internet address. 

For weeks I forwarded the e-mails to 2 agencies - spam@uce.gov & phishing-report@us-cert.gov - requesting the sender be investigated.

The spam recently stopped.  Maybe the sender realized I wasn't taking the bait and clicking the links in the fraudulent e-mails and dropped my from their list.. Or, maybe the agencies I reported them to actually addressed the situation.   Not sure if it actually helped, I got no response from or acknowledgement of receipt, but you might consider forwarding the e-mails to the agencies I have listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users