Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Keyboard Failure" message when entering BIOS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Error409

Error409

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

Hello

I have a desktop PS/2 keyboard that functions fine when in Normal mode. But for some reason when booting in BIOS, by pressing either (F2) or (F8), a message for about a second says, "Keyboard Failure".  

Of course, the keyboard functions in BIOS with the up/down arrow and Enter keys. But after going in Safe mode, the keyboard doesn't work, and as soon as when one key is hit, the PS/2 mouse becomes disabled too.

I went into Set up and under Integrated Devices (Legacy Select Options), the following settings are as follows:

Serial Port : Auto

Parallel Port: Mode : PS/2

USB emulation : ON

USB controller : ON

I don't know if anything in those settings are set incorrectly. I always have used the same PS/2 keyboard and mouse everyday. I did have to plug a USB mouse in just to be able to get out of BIOS when I hit a key, and lost control of both PS/2 devices in Safe Mode.   

I then went into device manager while in Safe Mode. Under the Hardware tab, the keyboard does not appear.(It says the PS/2 mouse is functioning correctly). I selected "Show Hidden Devices" and the keyboard appears. I clicked on 'keyboard', and the keyboard opens up underneath showing the Standard PS/2 keyboard (But it appears greyed out).

I right clicked on the PS/2 keyboard, selected properties, and under the General tab it says: "Location" : The device is plugged in to the keyboard port. It also says: Currently, this device is not connected to the computer (Code 45)"

I tried the troubleshooting button, but I I don't like following those instructions because it says that I should try first un-installing the driver and then re-booting to let Windows detect hardware and install the drivers. (if it failed to automatically install them, I would have more trouble). I wouldn't find them on either MS or Dell's websites because of this system's age. 

I then selected "Update Driver". The hardware wizard pops up to give two options: to install the CD, or allow to install using Windows Updates. I selected install CD using the manufacturer's disc that came with the PC. (I have a CD drive/ DVD burner built in). The wizard said it couldn't find it, and it says to click troubleshoot . 

I'll attach a screen shot of the keyboard driver in Device Manage in my next reply while running in Normal mode. I just had a topic closed yesterday on BC under the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum. The moderator helped me to clean my system. My keyboard issue existed before the system was cleaned, so malware is not the issue 

I do not have an extra PS/2 keyboard or a USB keyboard. I'm running OS Win XP SP3. The entire FRST log is on BC under my topic that was closed yesterday titled: 'Followed misguided directions on another site to run TDSSKiller', in case you might need additional specs. (I don't know if there's a reason again under this forum, i.e Speccy, FRST, etc)   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Error409

Error409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Driver Provider : Microsoft

Driver version : 5.1.2600.1106

Driver Date : 7/1/2001

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Component Publisher

File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

As I stated from my original post, here is the screen shot under Device Manager: 

Attached Files

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

No link provided to other post / eg Speccy Report.

Do you have SvcPk 3 Installed.

Have you Updated your BIOS to the latest available / support for USB.

Did you reset Bios to its Defaults.

After that i would be looking at trying other PS/2 Keyboards.

#4 Error409

Error409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

I have SP3 installed

I have BIOS Rev A10. Dell released a more recent BIOS A12 in year 2011. 

The keyboard issue started more recently, and not around the release in 2011. 

The BIOS update lists fixes and enhancements in BIOS A12. I didn't see fixes and enhancements mentioned that relate to my issue with the PS/2 keyboard / mouse.

It's also stated that BIOS A12 is optional.

Here is the link to the fixes made and description of the BIOS update on Dell's site: 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R84099

I'm not certain what you mean by 'support for USB'.  USB driver? ?

No. I did not reset the currently installed Rev A10 BIOS to it's defaults. Nor do I understand why it would be done. 

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:47 AM

I would still set the Bios to its default settings and Reboot and post results.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

Worth a shot but may not work. Shutdown, pull your power cord, and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace your power cord. See if your keyboard works in BIOS.

#7 Error409

Error409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

There's potentially a couple of unknown variables here involved when resetting the BIOS settings to default.

The default settings may not match the BIOS settings when my system was configured from the factory. Potentially, the settings could have been changed from the default settings predicated upon:

1.) Optional hardware that was installed on my system. This system was purchased back when I had many hardware options to add from Dell.

I would have no way of telling whether or not the optional hardware that I custom configured with my purchase from the factory could have rendered factory changes to the default settings for BIOS A10.  

2.) Settings changes could also have been configured from the factory based on Dell customer feedback prior to my purchase.

Keeping these in mind, It would be best to my advantage knowing how to re-set all my BIOS settings back to their factory recommended settings. 

I would not feel comfortable if I had to adjust the settings with script if I learned there was a requirement to re-set settings to a desired value after the BIOS (non-factory) default was completed.

I have been able to find so far by researching Dell's site the following:

>For Phoenix Branded BIOS, Dell's knowledge base states:  select F9 in the BIOS to restore to default settings. 

>Dell's community forum post from a user of a Dimension 4600i. The procedure followed resolved that BIOS boot problem, and also defaulted the BIOS options back to factory recommended settings. 

See link here

#8 Error409

Error409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

JohnC_21

I'm not following what you might have meant.
Pull the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds? with no power ? ?
Not sure if I'm missing a step

Edited by Error409, 26 February 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

JohnC_21

I'm not following what you might have meant.
Pull the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds? with no power ? ?
Not sure if I'm missing a step

Correct. Hold down the power button with no power. This drains the capacitors. Sometimes this can jolt things back to normal.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 February 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#10 Error409

Error409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:28 PM

Dell's forum has probably more posts describing this problem than the others I've searched. But their solutions offered are not all common and many times depend on the circumstances. 

If I can get feedback on these possible solutions I noted, it might add to confirm what somebody had already tried from personal experience:

1.) Power down. Disconnect power cord, and cables powered to PC. Remove CMOS battery from motherboard. Wait 20-30 minutes. Replace battery. 

Procedure worked for 2 out of 3 Dell PC users. Another Dell user from the link I posted previously followed a procedure to bleed the NVRAM from the CMOS by using keyboard stroke commands, appearing to be an alternative way than physically removing the battery, though I'm not so certain       

2.) While In Safe Mode, go to Device Manager. Right click on the 101/102 MS PS/2 keyboard. Select Update Driver to open the Hardware Update Wizard. Choose: 'Install from a list or specific location'. Choose: 'Include this location in this search'. Choose: ' Don't search. I will choose the driver to install'. Select the keyboard. Click next.

So by browsing to the driver files in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers in the file directory that match the files under Device Manager, Windows should recognize a PS/2 keyboard. Will those non-generic drivers work by default in safe mode ? 

I tried powering down > Disconnecting power cord and cables powered to PC > Holding power button for 30 seconds > Re-connecting > powering up. 

This didn't resolve my issue.

I'm going to look around for a F-M  PS/2 to USB adapter while waiting for a reply and if all else fails buy a USB keyboard  

#11 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:46 AM

Defaulting the Bios is not a big deal , its the start point to work from.

If things dont pan out or get fixed , you simply go back into Bios and adjust as needed.

EG: Usb Support / or PS2 ...which reflects what to do at Boot time to find the hardware type etc.

Wouldnt think Dell had any special changes prior to you purchasing it.

Done hundreds of Pcs and the Default will always get you up and running with Generic Drivers from the Operating System , then you can Update everything else after thats required  ...GPU / Usb etc.

Edited by Havachat, 27 February 2018 - 01:49 AM.

#12 Error409

Error409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

Havachat, JohnC_21

I've followed the old school approach throughout my career. There are so many possibilities of troubleshooting procedures that  I could spend days  or weeks on this issue.

The effort to fully fix an old legacy system though probably outweighs the other factors  i.e,  age, cost of parts, time involved  

I did gain functionality with the PS/2 keyboard in safe mode today. I removed the PS/2 mouse first before starting up. The "Keyboard Failure" message never appeared this time when pressing F8. So when I was in the set-up menu, I selected Safe Mode and the PS/2 keyboard worked. Did I try that before? I can't say with 100% certainty that I did for sure. Did the procedure of holding the power button down yesterday work? I can't say for certain.    

Bottom line, I can't have both PS/2 mouse and PS/2 keyboard plugged in together when booting in BIOS now

I really think I don't have to resolve this by defaulting the Legacy BIOS since it's only a few times that I need to go in.

The rear and front USB ports are all fully functional, so if I do need to boot up in BIOS more often, I'll buy a USB keyboard. 

I probably had been hoping for an easy, overlooked solution while asking too much when I posted this. So my prudent approach is to let it alone the way it is, instead of fooling around with it and possibly adding a problem.

Thank you Havachat and JohnC_21 for your provided support  

Edited by Error409, 27 February 2018 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users