Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI GE60 No Power Or Display

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Crappy

Crappy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

When I press the power button the Laptop trys to turn on but gives up. No beeps. It is showing the battery charging light which indicates that it is at least proving power to the battery. This problem arose after I took the Heat sink / CPU fan off and applied new thermal paste, as the system seemed to be slowing down to a crawl, I thought maybe it might have been time to replace the paste.

I have only had this laptop for two years max.

GE60 2pc Apache

A list of things I have tried so far with no success

• Taking out the ram / swapping sticks
  • Refitting the screen & cables
  • Refit the power cable
  • Checked for lose cables on the board.
  • Taken battery out and tried powering on
  • Completely draining the Laptop by removing Battery and Bios Battery / Held power button for over a minuet.

Any idea why might Laptop might not be turning on? I can't send it for repair because I'm out of warrenty, I spent over £1000 on this laptop when I bought it, not happy :(.

Attached Files

Edited by Crappy, 25 February 2018 - 06:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

my wild guess from what you have said is you probably put TOO MUCH thermal paste on, and now its overheating when you start it up

too much thermal paste is worse then not enough,

take it back apart, remove ALL OLD thermal paste using alcohol wipes,

apply the smallest spec of thermal paste before reassembling....you should barely even be able to see the spot of thermal paste you apply

Edited by mikey11, 25 February 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#3 Crappy

Crappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

my wild guess from what you have said is you probably put TOO MUCH thermal paste on, and now its overheating when you start it up

too much thermal paste is worse then not enough,

take it back apart, remove ALL OLD thermal paste using alcohol wipes,

apply the smallest spec of thermal paste before reassembling....you should barely even be able to see the spot of thermal paste you apply

Thanks very much for the advice. I will give it a try now.

#4 Crappy

Crappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

I cleaned and re-applied a smaller amount of the thermal paste, no luck though :(. I did notice a faint clicking noise coming from somewhere inside the laptop when I tried to turn it on. I took the bottom panel off and tried to locate it, but it's too faint to pin point.

Edited by Crappy, 25 February 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#5 Crappy

Crappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

Still looking for a solution.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:32 PM

What thermal paste are you using? Is it conductive? If it is make sure no thermal paste is on any of the components surrounding the CPU and GPU.

Does the fan spin up? 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Crappy

Crappy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:27 AM

What thermal paste are you using? Is it conductive? If it is make sure no thermal paste is on any of the components surrounding the CPU and GPU.

Does the fan spin up? 

The thermal paste I used was called 'IC Diamond 7 CPU Thermal Compound Paste' No the fan doesn't spin up at all. Do you think it could be an issue with the fan? I have given the board a good clean with a toothbrush. No signs of Thermal Paste on the board now, but no still no luck powering it on :(.

Edited by Crappy, 01 March 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

Does the fan spin up? 

The thermal paste I used was called 'IC Diamond 7 CPU Thermal Compound Paste' No the fan doesn't spin up at all. Do you think it could be an issue with the fan? I have given the board a good clean with a toothbrush. No signs of Thermal Paste on the board now, but no still no luck powering it on :(.

it sounds like you have a plug/cable not connected properly....you should get the fan spinning when you power it on, even if only for a second or two

make sure the ribbon connectors are seated properly, sometimes they are tricky to get in the exact proper position

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users