Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions wanted please

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 PureCode

PureCode

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

I'm building a gaming computer and also a computer for editing my videos I create. This is what I have so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cDH8dX.

Thanks for trying to help,

PureCode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

CPU: For editing purposes, I'd take at least 8 cores so Ryzen is much better choice. Also Ryzen 2 goes into current AM4 socket while LKA1151 is dead end for upgrading. Ryzen also runs much cooler. Another alternative is Threadripper.
CPU cooler: Quite expensive tbh.
For Ryzen AM4 board like Asrock x370 Taichi or Threadripper for TR4.
Memory: OK but price is simply ridiculous. I'd take at most 32GB now.
SSD: Take M.2 SSD instead. For SATA SSD's 850 Evo is already obsolete and cannot be recommended.
HDD: You probably know what you need. Another reason to go with Ryzen as you will choke LGA1151 platform badly with so many disks
Video card: GTX 1080 Ti is simply total waste of money at current prices. Right now buy something much cheaper and wait until prices calm down or better cards come.
Case: OK if you like it
PSU: 700W PSU is more than enough
Monitor: I consider 24 inch to be way too small for 1440p resolution. 27 inch minimum.

Overall, right now it's very bad time to buy memory or video cards. So I would go with something like https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7rxRBb + monitor.

Future upgrades: Another M.2 SSD, better video card and more memory.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

PC building right now is very bad, i mean really really super bad.

Miners have wiped out GPU's and prices for GPU's are super high.

It might actually be better to go get a pre built right now, usually its cheaper to build your own but miners have priced builders out of the market

I would look into originPC or maingear or cyberpowerPC

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 February 2018 - 03:52 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

I'm sure it will do what you want if money is no object :)

You don't say what video editing you're doing but Puget Systems gives a general guide for what to look for in a Premiere Pro workstation - https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:09 AM

Luckily there is many other software than Adobe's to edit videos. Generally speaking, Adobe's software is just crap. Reason is simple. When some company's product is "de facto standard" (or almost), they have no need to make software any better. It always happens.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 26 February 2018 - 04:11 AM.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

Luckily there is many other software than Adobe's to edit videos. Generally speaking, Adobe's software is just crap. Reason is simple. When some company's product is "de facto standard" (or almost), they have no need to make software any better. It always happens.

I have to disagree. Adobe is not the "de facto standard". I use Sony Vegas and I used Adobe Premiere before. They are both excellent for video editing and the rendering times are comparable.

Meanwhile for that budget I would recommend a faster CPU and only 32GB of ram, but be able to upgrade later.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

Many consider Adobe to be de facto for content creation.

Anyway you got my point. Saying CPU x is good for (something broad) just based on single software rarely works. Like some try to sell it.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 27 February 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#8 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

CPU: For editing purposes, I'd take at least 8 cores so Ryzen is much better choice. Also Ryzen 2 goes into current AM4 socket while LKA1151 is dead end for upgrading. Ryzen also runs much cooler. Another alternative is Threadripper.
CPU cooler: Quite expensive tbh.
For Ryzen AM4 board like Asrock x370 Taichi or Threadripper for TR4.
Memory: OK but price is simply ridiculous. I'd take at most 32GB now.
SSD: Take M.2 SSD instead. For SATA SSD's 850 Evo is already obsolete and cannot be recommended.
HDD: You probably know what you need. Another reason to go with Ryzen as you will choke LGA1151 platform badly with so many disks
Video card: GTX 1080 Ti is simply total waste of money at current prices. Right now buy something much cheaper and wait until prices calm down or better cards come.
Case: OK if you like it
PSU: 700W PSU is more than enough
Monitor: I consider 24 inch to be way too small for 1440p resolution. 27 inch minimum.

Overall, right now it's very bad time to buy memory or video cards. So I would go with something like https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7rxRBb + monitor.

Future upgrades: Another M.2 SSD, better video card and more memory.

People have a choice of what they  want to build whether a ryzen or an intel.

Apparently he "PureCode" choses to build with intel.

Yet anybody that builds with Intel, is pursauded not to and strongly advised to build with Ryzen..

So does this forum (System Building and Upgrading) specificially state that anybody builds a computer with Intel "MUST" build it with Ryzen.

Oh! Ryzen is cheaper than Intel, that maybe true, but its PureCode's choice on what cpu he wants to use.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

Really? Where? Bold that part please:

I'm building a gaming computer and also a computer for editing my videos I create. This is what I have so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cDH8dX.

PureCode

Yet anybody that builds with Intel, is pursauded not to and strongly advised to build with Ryzen..

So does this forum (System Building and Upgrading) specificially state that anybody builds a computer with Intel "MUST" build it with Ryzen.

Generally AMD offers better calue for money than Intel. Ryzen is not exception.

As for that build. Intel LGA115x system with M.2 SSD + 4 HDD's will heavily choke LGA115x motherboard IO system. Another reason why i7-8700K is simply bad choice.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 02 March 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#10 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:22 AM

Really? Where? Bold that part please:

PureCode

Generally AMD offers better calue for money than Intel. Ryzen is not exception.

As for that build. Intel LGA115x system with M.2 SSD + 4 HDD's will heavily choke LGA115x motherboard IO system. Another reason why i7-8700K is simply bad choice.

A lot of people in this forum don't have Ryzen builds, why is that? If Intel is useless then  people should build Ryzen computers and throw away their intel builds.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Throw away? Why working computer should be thrown out?

Ryzen has been on sale less than year now.

#12 PureCode

PureCode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the people trying to help build my first computer! I'm going to microcenter to buy my parts instead of online. (Don't worry the one I go to is not overpriced)

#13 PureCode

PureCode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

I might wait and see the new cpu (the new amd) comes out.

#14 PureCode

PureCode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

I'm using asrock. I switched from msi because people said they had issues with msi motherboards.

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

MSI's products have high failure rates and their ryzen motherboards take forever to post

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users