Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hard crash/restarts after 10 minutes of gaming

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RyanKane

RyanKane

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

​Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DUwR1rA3hPgt2SVzZbwN5WV

Sysnative attached.

​The Issue

So, for a few months now, my computer has been hard resetting after playing a game (normally one with high requirements) for ten or so minutes, but it varies. It will freeze, the monitor goes black and loses signal, and then my computer hard restarts with no error messages or the like. It reboots perfectly fine and without any message about shutting down incorrectly.

What I've tried:

• Replaced the PSU (from 600w to CX 750M corsair)
  • Tried a different GPU (a 1050TI)
  • Tested the ram with MemTest
  • Underclocked the GPU significantly
  • Ran several CPU stress tests
  • Tried different power sockets, different surge protectors, different cables, e.t.c to see if it was a power flow issue (it wasn't)
  • Reinstalled Windows from scratch, refreshed Windows, e.t.c., several times
  • Resat my HDD, RAM and GPU
  • Stresstested my GPU on Furmark and Unengine (no issues)

So this issue exclusively happens in the first half an hour of gaming on a reasonably high-end requirements game. 

One weird caveat is that it only seems to happen once per session/day. The first time I boot up my PC and load up a game, the crash will happen in the first half an hour at max. If I then immediately, after the hard restart, launch the game again with no other changes, I can play it for hours.

EVENT VIEWER

There's normally no event that corresponds with the crash, oddly. There is occasionally a Kernel-Power 41 ID, which I will copy below, but it's not very revealing.

- System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
      EventID 41       Version 6       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000400000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2018-02-25T13:21:45.156637700Z
      EventRecordID 892       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4       [ ThreadID] 8
      Channel System       Computer DESKTOP-MAA6VG3     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress 0     PowerButtonTimestamp 0     BootAppStatus 0     Checkpoint 0     ConnectedStandbyInProgress false     SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0     CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0     BugcheckInfoFromEFI true     CheckpointStatus 0

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

I saw something on the Speccy report and something in the Event Viewer that may be related. My comments are in blue.

Even Viewer Warning: The IO operation at logical block address 0x27f82de8 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000031) was retried.

Speccy SMART Value report:

Attribute name: 
UltraDMA CRC Error Count
Real value: 2,238 This usually indicates a problem with the cord connecting the hard drive to the SATA port. Try a different cord.
Current: 200  This should be 100
Worst: 200
Threshold: 0
Raw Value: 00000008BE

Edited by HyperHenry, 25 February 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#3 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thanks - I've tried changing the cable, although the real value now says 2,239 and the current still says 200. Although as I understand it if this is an error count it's still going to show the same numbers right?

Now I've changed the cable I'll try running something and will edit this if it crashes.

Edited by RyanKane, 26 February 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#4 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Hey, unfortunately while it seemed to be hanging in there, its crashed again today. Same as usual - monitor no signal after about ten minutes gaming, then a full hard crash restart.

#5 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Okay, after trying a clean boot the crash seems to be down to how many programs I have open while gaming. After booting with no other programs open, the crash is completely gone. However, trying to play with Steam, Battle.net and Chrome open at the same time, the crash happened extremely quickly. 

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

Steam and Chrome are both very resource hungry but I'd think you should be able to handle them. Try running Memtest on your RAM and see if one of them may be going bad. It's recommended to run it 8 Passes.

#7 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:38 AM

I ran Memtest for over 6 hours last night and the first pass went by in about one hour, but the second one took about 4. Is it supposed to take that long? Iterations was at 24, but passes only at 2. No errors, though.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

I've seen Memtest take as long as 20 hours. Each pass tests for something different. It's common for errors not to show up until the fourth or fifth pass.

#9 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Okay - Ill start running it now and leave it until tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will give us enough info to go on.

#10 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

Okay, I ran Memtest for 8 passes and it completed in reasonable time with zero reported errors on any of the passes. 

#11 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:05 AM

OK looked back over your Speccy report and found something I missed. The Command Timeout Was over 68,000. This can be caused by hard drive failure, a bad data cord, (which we already tried) or a bad PSU. I'm beginning to lean toward the last. A new PSU doesn't a;ways mean a good one. I'd try to contact Corsair and see what they say. Also there were a lot of Xeon entries. Is or was this computer used as a server?

#12 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the information. Is there any chance it is still the hard drive, even though it's passed the diagnostic tests? If so, I'll see if I can grab a spare one to do a real test of it. I'll also get in touch with Corsair and I guess see if I can return the PSU?

And this PC has definitely never been used as a server, no. What else could that be?

#13 jandikar

jandikar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

You didn't mentioned in "What I've Tried " about thermal paste. Try using it as well. 

#14 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the information. Is there any chance it is still the hard drive, even though it's passed the diagnostic tests? If so, I'll see if I can grab a spare one to do a real test of it. I'll also get in touch with Corsair and I guess see if I can return the PSU?

And this PC has definitely never been used as a server, no. What else could that be?

If you can get a spare one to try that would be great. What test did you run on it? I asked a friend about the Xeon files on the computer and am waiting for his answer.

#15 RyanKane

RyanKane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

@Jandikar - I did not mention that, but probably should have. Although, it has been a while. I'll do that again this weekend.

@HyperHenry - I ran the Seagate HD diagnostic tool, but most people seem to recommend HDDScan. I'll try running that one just in case.

As an aside, the one thing that perplexes me the most about this issue is how the crash only seems to happen once per session. It will crash once, and then once rebooted, will run absolutely fine for the rest of the day. It makes changes a bit hard to test, as I can't guarantee the results until the following day, but I have to think this has something to do with how it seems to be fine when running on a clean boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users