Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

questions about the battery in a refurbished laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

I have two questions about purchasing a refurbished laptop (so not sure if they are appropriate for this group).

I bought a refurbished lenovo thinkpad from Micro Center in New York.

Although it was considered "refurbished", the battery was essential dead. Instead of 4-6 hr or longer, its fully charged state only lasted for 1.5 hrs.

Q1. by convention, do refurbished laptops get a "refurbished" battery?

Q2. does a refurbished thinkpad from Lenovo outlets get more parts "refurbished" than from, say, Micro Center, Best buy or Newegg ?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,115 posts
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

This Ebay article should help.

Expect that the battery MIGHT not be good (i.e. dead) or will not hold a long charge. NOTE: if a battery holds a charge for 20 minutes it is not DEAD it simply doesn't hold a long charge.
Most companies that sell used/refurbished laptops on ebay DO NOT guarantee the battery to be good (or cover it in the warranty). Please read the fine print. Dell doesn't even guarantee the batteries they sell on their reconditioned/ refurbished laptops (don't believe me? Read their terms).

Some people say to buy OEM batteries but I bought generic off ebay. The seller had a very high rating and I noticed no difference between the generic and the OEM I had other than it was significantly cheaper. There are only a few factories that make laptop batteries for the OEMs. The OEMs may have better QA but for me I went with the generic because the laptop was older.

#3 OldPhil

• Members
  • 3,938 posts
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

I am going into my 3rd year on an Ebay battery that was almost 2/3 cheaper than the factory, I by chance checked the wear level this AM it shows at 19%.  Pretty darn good!  For my mini Acer I bought a 9 cell which give me about 7-1/2 hours, great for long flights.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users