Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fn f7 key on laptop not working properly....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

This is the 2nd new Asus UX305CA laptop that has this glitch:-

This Fn 7 key is to turn off the screen to save battery  - it does turn it off OK but it turns back on by itself when it likes from 1,2 4, 6, 20 seconds or so.

The Asus UK helpline has never heard of this glitch. The US chat helpline suggests updating this driver - ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100050.zip.....Can anyone say that this would address my glitch?

The internet does recommend this update to fix other problems but I don't want to do this if it 'breaks' other things as my glitch is not a big problem and I am living with it but it would be nice to fix it.

Any advice please - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

Something is "waking" the PC which is why the screen comes back on.  Are you using an external mouse?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

I would try what Asus support says. After you install the driver reboot the computer.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for your responses. 

Yes I do use a mouse but I don't jog or move it in any way when trying the Fn 7 key. Perhaps the driver update might work but once or maybe twice the screen stayed off for  around 10 mins and might have been more if I hadn't re started it which indicates that the driver is not to blame but am  wrong about that?

I'd like to compare what driver I have now with the update one but I can't find it - Speccy doesn't give me the actual version - how can I find that, if possible?

Edited by zzzz, 27 February 2018 - 05:08 AM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

What happens if you unplug the mouse and then try Fn-F7?

That ATKPackage_Win10_64_VER100050.zip you posted is a rom BIOS upgrade so it won't show in any of the drivers; but, it should show if you run MSINFO32. (WinKey+R then MSINFO32 <enter>)

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

That's an idea - I'll try both suggestions when I'm on the Asus - thanks.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Yes! Not having the mouse connected the screen stays off.  

Have just plugged in the mouse, pressed Fn7 and the screen again stayed off for at least a minute so fingers crossed it will remain so longer when I need it.

This is an odd fix but grateful for your suggestion and not needing to do that update.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 891 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

Optical mice hate some surfaces.  Try laying it on a few sheets of white paper if it comes back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users