Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Ghost of BitDefender Internet Security 2015

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MartayD

MartayD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Hello, Bleeping-

I had BitDefender Internet Security 2015 installed on my PC. I uninstalled it (as best I could) over a year ago.

Lately, I have been seeing this popup window when I try to shut the PC down:

"

BitDefender Threat Scanner

A problem has occurred in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\Windows\TEMP\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error.

"

I have looked for this file but cannot find it. I have looked for any remnants of BitDefender files or folders and cannot find any. Revo Uninstaller finds nothing. I have used BitDefender's Internet Security 2015 uninstall tool, which seems to run in a continuous loop forever. I have used CCleaner's registry tool to clean out the registry.

I am using Microsoft Internet Security real time, and scan my PC weekly with MBAM, SpyBot S&D, and SUPER AntiSpyware on demand.

When the popup shows up, it delays shutdown anywhere from a few minutes to basically never.

What can I do to exorcize this ghost from my system? Is it really Bitdefender or is something else going on?

I have a complete configuration file from Speccy which I can share if you want it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

Download AutoRuns and do a search for Bitdefender. Uncheck the box next to any found items. Reboot and if the computer acts normally after a time you can go back and highlight the entries. Click the red X to remove.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

The BitDefender Threat Scanner .dmp error is not uncommon and has been reported before.

You may want to read these previous discussion topics...all information we know has been discussed there already.This is an older discussion topic at the Bitdefender forums with many of the same suggestions.Note: Newer discussions at the Bitdefender forums are not much help...see A problem occurred Bitdefender Threat...

If JohnC_21's suggestion or the above information does not help, then you may want to contact and ask their support techs how to resolve this problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users