Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 7 - BLACK SCREEN with mouse cursor / chkdsk freeze loop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Hello Bleepingcomputer long time no see. But even the best :haha: can get in trouble sometimes. Jokes aside and with all that said. I have an recently issue i stumbled upon with one of my laptops ("Dell Latitude e5540) with Windows 7 64bit home edition installed since way back 2015 something.

I left it on during some nights and woke up to an frozen screen. Restarted and booted just perfect. Some days later (no troubles during that period days earlier even though i used pc just fine and rebooted etc) my pc just passed the windows 7 startup logo and then BAM....  Black screen with mouse cursor. As soon as i touched any key or moved the cursor the screen immiedately lowered its brightness by 50%. I rebooted and the pc booted just fine into desktop so i thought it was just a "error" for once. Used the pc normally whole day & night and shutted down normally for bedtime.

Next day same thing started from cold boot and BAM black screen with cursor. Tried Safe Mode and it worked so i restarted the PC again and it worked perfect into desktop. OK strange i thought but not any strange processes and scanned with Malwarebytes nothing came up descpite full scan/smart. Next day no problem. Day after that (2/24/2018 yesterday)...  perfect night and just wanted to check a few things so i booted my laptop up and came up with the Black screen with mouse cursor. Restarted with shutdown button and then came to
"Error check: One of your Disks Needs to be Checked for Consistency"

So i tried just waiting and also pressing so CHRDSK schouldt run. But still the window just hangs/freezing on that part. And from now on untill today 2018-02-25 the PC is just stuck on Error check as soon as the pc starts...

i tried booting with ESET NOD RESCUE CD/USB and works just fine scanning through the maindrive as we speak so far no threats found. And the scanner finds all my windows files and personal documents just fine without errorrs. Also did a DELL component test and all my hardware passed the indeep tests.

What can cause these? At first i thought MEH just random failure but now im starting to wonder. Haven't touched any install programs, utorrent or anything like that. Always up to date Firefox with Ublock Origin and browsing "safe" sites and playing games.

UPDATe***  So i can access all my volumes from LIVE USB ESET disk.....   schould i just do a re-format or can anyone think of any solutions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

If you can back up all your data files and program licenses to an external drive and you have the Windows 7 key and install DVD then I would recommend you do a clean install per the below guide.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-7-2624917

After a clean install you will need to do two updates manually to get updates. Do these in order

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3177467/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3172605/july-2016-update-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-s

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 February 2018 - 09:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users