Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:09 AM

I ran a "free" registry cleanner ( REGCURe) and I had about 1000 errors. Most of these wwere for empty registry keys.

Does having this many "errors" impact my PC ?

Are of the registry cleaner program any value to increasing PC speed.

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 02 October 2006 - 01:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

You can use Windows Live one care to scan and repair the registry. A lot of folks around here thinik it is great.
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

You probably want notice much if any change in speed. A backup is created before the registry changes are made.

Edited by buddy215, 02 October 2006 - 07:17 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hey Ramsey76,

If you want some excellent reg cleaners, try these:

1) jv16 Powertools, RegSupreme:
http://www.macecraft.com
You can choose which program you want; jv16 Powertools contains an all-in-one mantainence tool while RegSupreme is only for the registry.

2) The last freeware version of jv16 Powertools HERE:
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/LF...Powertools.html
It's not as good as the latest version, but if you want it free, it is adequate enough.

Note, these are arguably THE BEST registry cleaners on the internet. I use them and they are AWESOME and very safe. See this excellent article here:

http://www.informationweek.com/LP/showArti...&queryText=

Also try Regseeker from here:
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

The reviews on Regseeker have been very good to excellent but it is very aggressive and what it finds can be "scary". But users claim it has never given them any problems with cleaning the enteries. It is also "very fast" depending on your CPU.

Of course, always create a backup before making changes.

Another tip:
If you find any registry keys that reference software that is no longer installed on your computer, you can be sure it is completely safe to remove.

One of the best features of these registry cleaners is the FINDER option. I will remove a program and all its associated files, then I will type key words under Registry Finder to find all remaing traces of the software. I select the keys, and hit "remove". Now all remnants of the software are removed from my computer.

I did this when I removed AOL from my box. First, it's a bleep to remove. I used Add/Remove as usual, then I did a search for any remaining files/folders on my hard drive. When I used jv16 and entered "AOL" and "American Online" as keywords, it found over 200 obsolete enteries in my registry referring to this program alone!! I deleted the remaining AOL keys and there is no trace of this software on my comp.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Good luck. :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

Registry cleaners are dangerous to use. They generally rely on the software writer's opinion of what needs to be deleted and what needs to stay. The better one's make you decide what to delete and what to keep.

The registry is a very complicated piece of software. And, it's modified by any number of different programmers when you install their software on your system. I personally doubt that there's anyone who fully understands all the complexities of the registry as a whole.

Overuse of a registry cleaner will eventually cause problems on your system. Even the safer one's will do this.

A bloated registry can cause system problems, as can a registry with bad entries. Typically the effect on your system is minimal. But in certain circumstances it may even cause the system to crash.

So, in short - don't mess with the registry unless there's a specific need to do so.

Use this link to find problems in your registry: http://safety.live.com/ It is, IMO, the safest tool for this purpose. If you choose to fix registry problems with it, you can exclude any of the results that you think should remain. Then, before it cleans the stuff out of your Registry, it will make a System Restore point that will save a copy of your Registry.

NOTE: Defragging your hard drive before starting the scan will decrease the amount of time required for the online scan.

Since I've disabled System Restore on my system. I use ERUNT to backup my registry. Also, you can copy and save the list to a file before fixing the registry - that way you'll have a record of what changes were made.

Finally, be aware that the first pass of this tool will most likely find many, many entries that need to be fixed (in most cases this is 300 to 400 entries). It's to your benefit to scan the entire list, even though it will take forever.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users