Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder becomes 64 kb file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:10 AM

Hello

So i bought a new flashdrive today, and after i moved my files there, i eject it safely. When i insert it again, it's said that there are errors that i should repair, so i repaired it, and now most of my folder (and the files inside) are converted to 64 kb files that can't be opened. Those are very precious files that i worked hard to gain, and i'tll be hard for me to lose it. Is there any way i can fix this? I've attached the screenshot of the case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

First, you're never safe until you have three copies of anything you care about and I don't know why you "moved" them to a flash drive rather than copy them.  It is also a complete myth that having a bunch of stuff on your hard disk drive slows your PC down.

Second; whenever you do have important stuff on one drive/device, don't ever let Windoze try to fix it without knowing exactly what it needs to fix beforehand.

Have you tried FreeUndelete on the original drive (where they were before you moved them) to see if they can be recovered using it?

https://www.lifewire.com/freeundelete-review-2622880

You can try recovering from the flash drive; but, since you already let Windoze alter it, you won't do as well.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Zooasaurus

Zooasaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:59 AM

First, you're never safe until you have three copies of anything you care about and I don't know why you "moved" them to a flash drive rather than copy them.  It is also a complete myth that having a bunch of stuff on your hard disk drive slows your PC down.

Second; whenever you do have important stuff on one drive/device, don't ever let Windoze try to fix it without knowing exactly what it needs to fix beforehand.

Have you tried FreeUndelete on the original drive (where they were before you moved them) to see if they can be recovered using it?

https://www.lifewire.com/freeundelete-review-2622880

You can try recovering from the flash drive; but, since you already let Windoze alter it, you won't do as well.

Yea, i've been able to recover some of the files. Many thanks. However, now i couldn't move my important files now to that disk as it'll be instantly corrupted. Time to buy another fd it seems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users