Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell laptop service tag help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patricia2626

patricia2626

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

i got a old laptop i need to remove a old account information? 

Is there any service tags tools in 2018

dell latitude E5440 service tag 1965Q32  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. Are you saying you want to remove an old Windows user account on the computer? 

What do you mean by service tag tools?

You can enter your service tag in the Dell support page here.

#3 patricia2626

patricia2626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask. Are you saying you want to remove an old Windows user account on the computer? 

it old laptop i dont have the dell account or service it 4 to 8 years old i want to disable my dell service tag or reset it

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

it old laptop i dont have the dell account or service it 4 to 8 years old i want to disable my dell service tag or reset it

The service tags are assigned to individual machines, very much like serial numbers.  Your machine is long out of support, so your service tag is only going to pull up the specs on the machine were it to be entered.

There is nothing to be reset or deleted.  The active life of the service tag is now long over.

Edited by britechguy, 24 February 2018 - 08:45 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 patricia2626

patricia2626
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,601 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

I don't believe any personal info is revealed from the service tag. The service tag is embedded in Dell's BIOS and I don't know of any way of removing it unless by a specialized Dell Utility which you will have to search for and it may not work on your computer.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=change+service+tag+number+in+dell+bios

I am not familiar with Computrace but it does look like you can change the service tag. From what I have read Computrace is like Lo-jack for computers. I am not sure why you need to change your service tag. Are you worried somebody will use the service tag to personally identify you?

Edit: Do this at your own risk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SLO0Kq1uY

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

I think the only way that this pc can be traced back to you is through the Dell service Code. But you have to log onto your account (user name & password) just to match this service code to you. The service Tag is not traceable back to you though Dell. Just do a low level format on the drive, and use your Dell disks to re-install the operating system but leave any personal info off the pc before you sell/dispose it. If there's any type of data, you'll need to back the up onto a different medium first before you low level format

Edited by Joe C, 24 February 2018 - 09:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users