Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.3 MATE, can't authenticate updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

I've recently tried to update my install of linux mint MATE 17.3 but have had a warning about being unable to authenticate updates, hence it can't be proven that they are from a trusted source. See the screenshot for the error and a list of the updates I was trying to apply at the time. I have not installed these updates and assume I should not do so until I can authenticate them. I had tried checking for updates a week or so ago, but got this error then, I didn't install them then and resolved to wait a while and see if, when I tried to update later, authentication would work, now is later and it hasn't started working again. Please can anyone advise on how to get authentication working again so I can safely update linux.

Thanks

Attached File  linux_updates.jpg   68.07KB   0 downloads

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

This means that for some reason apt cant verify the gpg signatures, This usually happens if there is a glitch in your network connection to the package server, or if for some reason the download did not go correctly.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

I don't think the download had begun, the screen you see in the attachment flashed up fast enough that no file of meaningful size could have reached my PC between me clicking to update and it showing. What steps do I take to bypass any network glitch or use another package server? Right now I'm just using the default one I think, and if there are any network issues I would guess they are at the server not at me (but how can I check to find this out?) because my connection seems to work fine.

Edited by rp88, 24 February 2018 - 08:23 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

I think I've fixed it. I went into the package manager and "custom filters" then highlighted the broken stuff, nothing was shown as broken. I reloaded the list in package manager let it do it's stuff then closed it. I then went back to update manager and tried to update. The updates are in progress now and so far there hasn't been any warning about authentication problems.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

Just got this same error again, same method seemed to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users