Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Bluescreen of death

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 callumjones8

callumjones8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Hello all!

Recently my friend has been experiencing a blue screen of death that happens when he plays on highly intensive games. Upon the blue screen it doesn't give that much information however when the computer restarts windows displays this in a windows error report box: 

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:    116

BCP1:    FFFFFA80078C53D0

BCP2:    FFFFF8800458199C

BCP3:    0000000000000000

BCP4:    0000000000000002

OS Version:    6_1_7601

Service Pack:    1_0

Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\022418-8658-01.dmp

C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-20498-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I have already done some troubleshooting and found that the BCCode 116 has something to do with the display drivers. So i installed the latest drivers which didn't stop the issue. I then uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, Still didn't fix the issue. I then removed the overclock from the GPU to see if that was doing anything however nothing changed after that. Currenly my next plan is to reinstall windows and see where it heads to then. After that im not to sure, my personal bet is on a faulty GPU. 

What do u guys think?

Thanks in advance :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:13 AM

See here for instructions on what info to include in your post.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:35 AM

Now you have some instructions about uploading crash dump files so here is some more information about that/those kinds of errors:

The problem (errors 0x00000116 and 0x00000117) is most likely a video driver, a thermal (heat) issue or both.

Video intensive operations can contribute to thermal related BSODs. 

Can you reproduce the problem anytime you want...  say by playing games, watching videos, etc.? 

Answer the following questions, reply with answers, the pasted information (two things to paste) and links to crash dump files:

What is your system make and model?

If a Dell what is the Service Tag number?

If an HP what is the Serial Number?

Click the Start button/orb in the lower-left corner of your screen. Or, press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.

In the box enter:

msinfo32

Select/click msinfo32.exe and the System Information dialog box will open.

Click on System Summary, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

If you download the free version of Speccy you can see what your temperatures are and also monitor them while you are performing video intensive things that might cause a BSOD:

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

You can uninstall Speccy later if you don't like it.

When Speccy is running temperatures in green are good and temperatures in red would be bad (in this example everything is green=good and red=bad):

[attachment=202482:1.jpg]

Remember:  Green=Good  Orange=A Concern  Red=Bad

If you minimize Speccy to the system tray the average temperature will still be displayed next to the system clock so you can keep an eye on it and if it gets into the red, you have a thermal problem:

[attachment=202483:2.jpg]

See if you can reproduce the BSOD while Speccy is running and showing the temperature of things.

Keep an eye on the temperature while you are doing whatever you do that causes the BSOD.

Edited by joseibarra, 25 February 2018 - 01:36 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 callumjones8

callumjones8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:41 AM

Good Morning,

To answer some of your questions:

1. The system is a custom built, im not to 100% sure on the specs as my friend isn't avalible right now (can get exact later) but i know that he has: i5 4460, r9 390, 8gb ddr3 RAM

2. Yes i can reproduce it, he gets the error when playing a game called ARK Survival Evolved which from what i can tell is a GPU and RAM intensive game.

Additionally i did notice that his GPU can get quite hot, idle temps looking at 60 and when gaming it can go above 80.

As soon as i get into contact with him ill get the exact system spec and give the pasted info,

Thanks for the reply

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

If you upload the Speccy report requested above it'll tell us most of your specs except the PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users