Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

My windows 10 has a problem,it was trying to start for over 3 hours and started getting a message windows getting ready do not turn off your computer ,with a spinning icon
.It just would not go further.I did go against the advice and turned the Acer Desktop off.
And i did get the chance to do a restore but when it said it was successful the desktop was blank of icons and
the mouse freezes everytime so i get know where .I have read how to start in safe mode by holding down shift when i see the windows logo but as soon as i get to the right bottom (with the mouse )the
power icon to restart it never gives me a chance to select restart it just starts up each time when i get the selection of choices.
I am at a loss what to do to solve this situation ,i would appreciate some advice .

Edited by Ben_26, 24 February 2018 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

When you say you did a System Restore you did not mean reset with the option to keep your files, correct? If you did a normal System Restore and it failed you can do a reset with the option to keep your personal files but you would need to reinstall all your programs.

#3 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:40 PM

Hi johnC_21 thanks for your help,
I am a novice but from what i remember i did get to the normal restore selection (not a reset like you mention) after which said it was successful but froze on the start up.
I am not sure how to do restore again as the PC boots and eventually gets to the desktop with no icons and mouse freezes
everytime.
Is there a work around or something i could do to boot in safe mode and choose to boot from a previous succesful boot
where windows opened in a normal configeration like you get in other windows like 7 with the F8 key?
Thanks for your time and help.

Edited by Ben_26, 24 February 2018 - 05:43 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

You can try the below method to get to Advanced Boot Options. From there you can do a reset with the option to keep your files.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#5 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

Thank you JohnC_21 for sharing your knowledge and advice to help me fix my PC ,which is much appreciated too ,you are certainly the right person
for this forum and great for helping other forum members too.
Cheers :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Your Welcome,

Were you able to accomplish the reset?

#7 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

Hi johnC_21
Yes i have got my PC up and working again from your excellent advice and kind time you provided with your simple instructions.

Great to have such knowledgable members on the forum ,
Best of Luck from the UK. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users