Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR2GPT

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nopejo

nopejo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

I have used the MBR2GPT validate command without the "/allowFullOS"  in the Windows Recovery Environment (RE) and it worked. Will the conversion work in the Recovery Environment without the "/allowFullOS"  or only in Windows PE. Can Windows PE ONLY be run from a USB or is it on the C Drive already and can be run from there and how do you get to it if it is. Is it the safest option to run MBR2GPT from Windows PE or is it safe using the /allowFullOS.

Is the entire disc converted in one go  to GPT in the process? How does it do the conversion without destroying any data?

Once I have converted my Hard Drive System Disc to GPT will I have any issues copying files from an external USB MBR Disc to the GPT Disc.

"/allowFullOS By default, MBR2GPT.exe is blocked unless it is run from Windows PE. This option overrides this block and enables disk conversion while running in the full Windows environment.
Note: Since the existing MBR system partition is in use while running the full Windows environment, it cannot be reused. In this case, a new ESP is created by shrinking the OS partition."

Will it then after conversion delete the original ESP (existing system partition?).

I have a 3TB Disc so lack of space is not a problem.

Attached Files

Edited by nopejo, 23 February 2018 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nopejo

nopejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

The attached image is of my existing partitions for info regarding my first post. Couldn't find a way to include it with the first post as there doesn't seem to be an option in edit. Cheers Nopejo.

Attached Files

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

If your BIOS has the UEFI option you can use the GPT option, but this is best done when setting up a new a mass storage units (hdd ssd).  The How-to Geek has a good article which explains the difference between the two and how to use them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nopejo

nopejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:32 PM

I think MBR2GPT validation successful means the UEFI option is available and I have also checked the BIOS to make sure it is  but thanks anyway for your comment. Do you know anyone in Silicon Valley that might be able to answer the questions I have asked?

Edited by nopejo, 24 February 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

Hi, this is a good article on the subject from MS:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

#6 nopejo

nopejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

Hi, this is a good article on the subject from MS:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

Yes it is a good article and I have already read it, however it doesn't answer any of the questions I have asked above.

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:48 AM

Hi, go to university after 7+ years of study and around 10 + years of experience come back and I will explain it to you. Otherwise I am wasting my time, you could not possibly understand the answer.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

Hi, go to university after 7+ years of study and around 10 + years of experience come back and I will explain it to you. Otherwise I am wasting my time, you could not possibly understand the answer.

Awe come on... you know as well as I do that computers are all about smoke and mirrors and a good amount of magic. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 nopejo

nopejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:13 AM

The MBR2GPT conversion worked well without any problems from Windows Powershell with Admin rights. The process with a 3TB Disk was very quick, it was probably less than a minute.

With regards to the images, one shows the partitions/drives created during the process and the other that the free version of Aomei was able to merge the unallocated space with the C: partition. Aomei issued a windows error message during the process and failed to restart, however on powering up the PC everything appears OK. I am wondering if it may have been better to make the disk dynamic before using Aomei to merge.

For the benefit of anyone who has been following this post the following link was able to answer some of the questions I asked above:

https://www.petri.com/change-the-disk-partition-from-mbr-to-guid-in-windows-10

Attached File  Drive_AfterMBR2GPT.jpg   59.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Drive_GPT_Merged.jpg   62.52KB   0 downloads

Attached File  MBR2GPT_Command.jpg   88.45KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users