Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Spin 7 - No Video (Bad Connector)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hello,

I have an Acer Spin 7 SP714-51 convertible laptop I purchased off of eBay for parts. It's in GREAT condition, just has a missing SSD and the screen will not turn on. I immediately found the cause in the photos attached. The 2nd female connector on the motherboard from the screen looks in BAD shape.

I'm pretty tech savvy, but this is sort of uncharted territory for me. Do you have any suggestions on this issue? Is that connector able to be replaced? The male connection looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for your assistance!
Jimmy

Attached File  IMG_20180223_204232.jpg   165.06KB   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20180223_204302.jpg   109.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20180223_204404.jpg   119.29KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jimmy058910, 23 February 2018 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

The good news it yes, the connector can be replaced.  The bad news is that you would need to purchase another motherboard that has this connector and is in good shape. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

The good news it yes, the connector can be replaced.  The bad news is that you would need to purchase another motherboard that has this connector and is in good shape.

Ouch, I can't seem to find a motherboard for this computer anywhere! It's actually been surprisingly difficult to even find a 256GB SSD (which I'm holding off on until I can get the screen issue resolved.)

Is there no way to use this piece off another board or no where to buy replacement connectors for this?

Sorry if those are dumb questions lol, trying to figure this out.

Thanks!
Jimmy

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Hi Jimmy,

Unfortunately these parts aren't usually sold separately.  The manufacturer will purchase parts to build a run of say 1,000 motherboards and maintain a stock of part for repairs (with or without a warranty).  I have yet to find a computer manufacturer who sells components separately.

Please post the make and model of the motherboard and I will see what I can find.

Edited by dc3, 24 February 2018 - 02:46 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

Hi Jimmy,

Unfortunately these parts aren't usually sold separately.  The manufacturer will purchase parts to build a run of say 1,000 motherboards and maintain a stock of part for repairs (with or without a warranty).  I have yet to find a computer manufacturer who sells components separately.

Please post the make and model of the motherboard and I will see what I can find.

Hello,

Notebookcheck shows the mainboard being a: Intel Kaby Lake-Y Premium PCH

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Spin-7-SP714-51-M09D-Convertible-Review.182050.0.html

I hope this helps! Thanks for your assistance,

Jimmy

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

Kaby Lake is an Intel codename for a processor microarchitecture, this is not the motherboard.  Please find the model and/or motherboard part number on the motherboard and post it.

#7 Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

Ah, sorry about that! Attached is a photo of what I believe is the MB number

Attached Files

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

The motherboard model should be similar to this...    MB.AJ702.003

I am beginning to seriously doubt we are going to find this motherboard, much less a used one for sale.  A new Acer motherboard could go anywhere from $89.  to over $200.

#9 Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

The motherboard model should be similar to this...    MB.AJ702.003

I am beginning to seriously doubt we are going to find this motherboard, much less a used one for sale.  A new Acer motherboard could go anywhere from $89.  to over $200.

Dang, that's really sad to hear. One small plastic connector is preventing this computer from really going...

Under the ram plate on the MB it says Model ZDS

Other than that, I found some numbers/letters has MB on it as well, not directly on the actual MB. Other than that, I don't see anything at all. Does this info help at all?

Attached File  IMG_20180225_162344.jpg   201.76KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jimmy058910, 25 February 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

In your first post you stated that you purchased this motherboard for its parts.  For this reason I have to assume you have the same make and model and it needs to be repaired, is this correct?

Is the computer you are trying to repair operable at all?

The release date for this laptop was August 31st 2016, I'm guessing, once again, that this computer is out of warranty?

How did you determine that the motherboard you purchased is the same as the one in your computer?

Without the model of this motherboard I'm dead in the water.  What really has me concerned is the possibility that the motherboard you purchased may not be the correct model or version.

#11 Jimmy058910

Jimmy058910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hello,

This computer was purchased from a general consumer that tried to upgrade the SSD and caused damage, voiding the warranty. It is definitely the original motherboard, per the seller.

I had a chat with Acer and they referred me to Capital Data for parts, which is actually only an hour away from home. I'm hoping they have the part/piece they can sell me. Or maybe can provide the motherboard name/model at the very least.

Thanks for your time and I'll keep you posted, because I don't know what else to do at this point :/

Jimmy

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

Do you live near a electronics repair place? If you do ask them if they can order the connector and replace the old one. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users