Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked unknown password in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redroset

redroset

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Previous post: 

I caused the problem by not knowing what I was doing and was DEEP inside the bowels of my ASUS laptop Windows 10. I was trying to removed previous owner's user name - there's a regular place to do it but it didn't so I looked around more. Finally reached a place where I believed it was taken care of and was told to "reset password at logon". It was easy to just select button that says "reset password" but it then asked for reset disk - I don't have one so I now can't get into my laptop. I know there is a solution because I believe computers cannot be broken via software - is there someone(s) who can help me, please.

I used to be very good with computers - years ago but at "advanced" age I no longer am able to solve computer puzzles and not as patient to.  Hopefully someone can help this grandmother. Thank you so much

I have now been told, by repair shop, the problem is in BIOS and they didn't know how to repair it. This is a fairly new (? 3 years) computer so hopefully it can be repaired. Hoping there is a solution. Getting desperate. 

Thanks - Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 null__

null__

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:21 PM

Try resetting the CMOS. I would think that would take care of it.

#3 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

Previous post: 

I caused the problem by not knowing what I was doing and was DEEP inside the bowels of my ASUS laptop Windows 10. I was trying to removed previous owner's user name - there's a regular place to do it but it didn't so I looked around more. Finally reached a place where I believed it was taken care of and was told to "reset password at logon". It was easy to just select button that says "reset password" but it then asked for reset disk - I don't have one so I now can't get into my laptop. I know there is a solution because I believe computers cannot be broken via software - is there someone(s) who can help me, please.

I used to be very good with computers - years ago but at "advanced" age I no longer am able to solve computer puzzles and not as patient to.  Hopefully someone can help this grandmother. Thank you so much

I have now been told, by repair shop, the problem is in BIOS and they didn't know how to repair it. This is a fairly new (? 3 years) computer so hopefully it can be repaired. Hoping there is a solution. Getting desperate. 

Thanks - Linda

#4 redroset

redroset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

Thanks. How do I reset CMOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users