Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont turn off at end of shutdown (Win 10)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi.

My HP Windows 10 laptop has developed a problem. When I shut it down, the screen says shutting down and you see the spinning circle  but when it gets to the point where all hard drive activity and the fan die down, it never turns itself off. However, If I "hibernate" the laptop, it fully shuts down. "Sleep" switches the laptop off too.

It's just normal shutdown it hangs and never turns off. Is there a fix apart from reinstalling windows all over again?

Thanks. :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

Firstly, disable Fast Startup in Windows 10. Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X > Command prompt as admin. It may say Powershell. Type the following commands.

powercfg.exe /h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot and then try a normal shutdown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users