Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My Idle Mind...Reflections On "Patriot", "Patriotism, And The Like

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

• 55,025 posts
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

For rhe record...no, I am not referring at all to that U.S. football team that also calls itself "Patriots" :).  The NFL is not on my list of items...that call for any thought at all.

I am now 71 years old and there are some things I have never understood.

How does anyone...who has not volunteered or was drafted... by the U.S. military services...dare to call himself/herself...a "patriot" in the U.S.?  How does one proclaim oneself to be "patriotic", how does one assert oneself to be a "patriot" who was born and raised in the U.S.?

Can those people who did/do... all that they could/can...to avoid military service...from the 1960s until today...consider themselves "patriots"?

People in military service...deserve all the respect that one can muster for those who did the ultimate...they walk/walked the walk, while many others did nothing but verbalize empty rhetoric about "how much they love their country."  But...are those persons with military experience..."patriots"...because they honored contracts which they signed with the U.S. Government?  I might consider honoring a legal contract of any kind...worthy of respect for those persons to whom integrity means something...but I would not necessarily want the stigma of today's self-acclaimed "patriots" to be affiliated with those I consider "honorable".

Yet...it's always these people who have never donned a military uniform...never put themselves in military uniform with the realization that they may be called upon to be killed for the sake of honoring their military commitments...who are the ones who use term "patriot" most often, most loudly, and most dishonestly.

Sure makes me wonder...just what a "pariot" might be...since it's obviously not what I ever invoke as easily as "patriots" throw the ambiguous, ill-defined word around...whenever they seem to run out out of other inanities to utter.

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2018 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,077 posts
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

I don't know Louis, wasn't it Samuel Johnson who said "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" ?

Still, since I carried a rifle for Her Majesty for the best part of 17 years if only on a part-time basis, I can consider myself exempted from his remarks.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Havachat

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

By the Cambridge Dictionary it states - A person who loves their country and, if necessary, will fight for it

So i personally think the word gets thrown around to loosly or out of context as in the US.

Its only a word and i give credit to anyone in the armed forces either conscripted or joining , im glad ive never had to go to any war and will never know what its like to be in that position , but i have a mindset that to protect my Country i would if needed go, and think i would handle it ok with my experiences in life , but until you actually do and everything you see first hand in wars , I`ll never know ,  and its always cemented in your brain for the rest of your life if you go.

Ive never thought of myself as a Patriot pursay , but im thankful for being born and living in Australia , and im Proud to be that.....An Aussie.

War Veterens / Aussie Diggers and so on from any other Country deserve the utmost respect for what they did in any wars , or what they were forced to do by then Governments etc , otherwise we wouldnt have what we have now , good or bad we have to learn to be better for all to coexist as one,

It will never happen though to many obstacles , Religion , Money , Dictators , Poverty etc etc.

Edited by Havachat, 23 February 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#4 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,752 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:36 AM

We've seen a lot of swaztika wearing and Confederate flag wavers declaring themselves "patriots" here in the USA and today's

president calling them "good people". To me....that kinda demeans a lot of real patriots.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

I have to agree with you for the most part hamluis but its not just serving your country through the armed forces but even serving your nation locally for example disaster relief putting your nation first thats the embodiment of parasitism. Look at all the people who assisted with rescuing people after the Twin Towers fell those people one in all are true patriots. The word patriot is used to liberally a lot like the word hero, A hero is someone who puts there life on the line for others and doesn't ask for anything in return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users