Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie needs help..Suddenly seeing pc type & location in right hand lower corner

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Boomer-NJ

Boomer-NJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

My son uses my computer occasionally.  Within the last few days, I have noticed that my pc type and location  appears in right hand lower corner om my screen. see attached      It does not appear immediately but pops up suddenly no matter what application I am in , connected to the Internet or not.

Ran MacAfee , CC Cleaner , Malware Bytes  all without success.  Not sure if this is some sort of a Trojan or other malware, or if some setting got changed somehow.

Suggestions as to what is is  and how to remove it very much appreciated.   Not technical, but can follow instructions

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

It looks as if there is a pending update, have you clicked the update noted there?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Evidently Peakfinder is an app that locates various mountain peaks and gives the name and elevation of them. It does not appear to be a virus, just an app that to you is a pest.

Try entering Control Panel / Programs/Uninstall a program; see if Peakfinder is listed there, and select uninstall. That should take care of it.

What browser are you running?

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 February 2018 - 04:05 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

Teach me to look Left and Right  Dah!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Boomer-NJ

Boomer-NJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

Evidently Peakfinder is an app that locates various mountain peaks and gives the name and elevation of them. It does not appear to be a virus, just an app that to you is a pest.

Try entering Control Panel / Programs/Uninstall a program; see if Peakfinder is listed there, and select uninstall. That should take care of it.

What browser are you running?

Does not always show Peak Finder , but now always shows PC model and Location. At work now - but will check programs in Control Panel when  I get home and advise

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

#7 Boomer-NJ

Boomer-NJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.  I did check and there was no Peakfinder app listed in my installed programs. So nothing to un-install.  I did notice the PC type +location in the right hand bottom   and nothing on the left side.  No Peak Finder or anything else.

I ended up running MacAfee, Malwarebytes, Adaware, Spybot  , CC cleaner among others.  No viruses found - but it's gone !

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

Good news!  I suspect MacAfee found it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users