Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing the HD in a Dell Inspiron 15-5559

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

I bought a " Dell Inspiron 15-5559 Intel Core i5-6200U X2 2.3GHz 8GB 1TB 15.6" Win10,Gray" because I wanted a cheap laptop for surfing the web and I wanted to poke around in windows 10.

However, the mechanical HD in the laptop is a major bottle neck for even trying to surf the web.. so I got an SSD to replace it... but I can not seem to get the computer to boot off the SSD...

With Win7 it doesn't even seem to recognize there is a HD in there at all.
And when I try to clone the HD with win10 it says the boot file is missing or corrupted.

The SSD I am using is 120GB instead of the 1TB that is currently in it... that was likely the problem with my first cloning software... but this second one shouldn't be having that as an issue.

A link to the laptop: http://www.sears.com/dell-inspiron-15-5559-intel-core-i5/p-SPM10411227718

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

Your SSD should have come with transfer software that must be loaded on the HD first to the transfer.  Then the drive gets swapped not before.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

With the SSD attached is it detected in your BIOS settings?

Note: I don't think your SSD is a 4k native drive but if it is then Windows 7 does not support it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2510009/microsoft-support-policy-for-4k-sector-hard-drives-in-windows

#4 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

Well here is the SSD I am trying to use:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820242257

But pretty much what you guys are saying is I have to find an SSD that comes in a cloning pack?

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:10 AM

That SSD should be fine , you need to Clone the Old drive to the SSD , by way of using a Powered Usb to Sata Adapter.

The C:\Drive of the1TB should not / can not be more than 120Gig.

You can use various apps to do the Clone / i use MiniToolPartition Wizard { Free }. 

You also Wrote -

1/ With Win7 it doesn't even seem to recognize there is a HD in there at all.

Answer - It wont boot until you have a Operating Installed on the SSD.

2/ And when I try to clone the HD with win10 it says the boot file is missing or corrupted.

Answer - You cant Clone Win 10 to the Drive thats an install also.

So the question is are you trying to Clone Win 7 / Win 10 from the old Drive ? Which is it ?

What was your existing Operating Sytem.?

Edited by Havachat, 24 February 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#6 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

I would like to clone the hard drive... I am using a USB dock for the 120GB... but maybe I need the USB adapter that plugs directly in to the SSD?

Hmm.... MiniToolPartition Wizard is the 2nd clone software I used. :/

It said a file was missing though... it was something like boot/EUI/windows/UPI or something like that... sorry can't remember the exact file path/name.

When I couldn't get the clone to work I attempted to use the Win7 HD out of one of my computers.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Here you can download the right software.

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/acronis-download

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:12 AM

WOW, they make it almost impossible to figure out how to find your product key.... I couldn't even get the ones I found online to work. >.>

I might just have to look for some kind of clone kit when I get back from Asia and see if that works.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

What OS is on the HDD, Windows 7 or Windows 10.

How much data is on the 1TB drive? As long as the amount of data on the 1TB is less than the SSD size with at least 10% extra free space you should get a successful clone.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#10 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

WOW, they make it almost impossible to figure out how to find your product key.... I couldn't even get the ones I found online to work. >.>

I might just have to look for some kind of clone kit when I get back from Asia and see if that works.

You do not need a key for Windows 10 if that laptop already had Windows 10 on it. Just install and it will authenticate automatically when you go on line

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

You do not need a key for Windows 10 if that laptop already had Windows 10 on it. Just install and it will authenticate automatically when you go on line

I think the OP was talking about the 64 character key he need to install the cloning software from Acronis.

#12 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

I think the OP was talking about the 64 character key he need to install the cloning software from Acronis.

O.K....Thank you.

Those other apps that JohnC_21 posted work very well. I personally use the Macrium Free version myself.

#13 ESmithE

ESmithE

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

I personally use the AOMEI Backupper Standard to perform weekly backup. Cloned hard drive to SSD once with the software and keep it installed till now. This is the post I followed before, hope it is helpful. Clone Dell Hard Drive to SSD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users