Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Greetings.

Shut computer down last night, no problem, Woke put this a.m turned the unit on and i get a momentary light up on my monitor but that's it. The light on the computer is usually  blue white but it is staying on orange. I'm hooked up to a router and those two lights are blue/green while my modem is all lit up ok. I have rebooted several times with the sea result.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

Sounds like it's in some kind of sleep mode. Pull the power cord. I am assuming this is a desktop. If a laptop also remove the battery if easily accessible. Hold the power button down the 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot. 

If the above fails some OEMs have onboard diagnostics. For a Dell tap F12 and for HP tap Esc at boot.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Didn't work, I noticed that when the monitor tries to come on, it shows on the top portion  a multitude of colored lines running horizontal and the white screen is smokey white. That whole thing happened for a second or two and then that disappears. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

This looks like a serious hardware problem. Does the computer have both onboard and integrated graphics? If using a discreet GPU try changing to the integrated graphics port. If not then I think you may need to take it to a shop for diagnosis unless you have a spare GPU. Is this a custom build or an OEM? If you have a spare monitor see if you get the same multicolored lines. 

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

It'a a Dell Inspiron. The monitor problem happened before but I did a complete wipe for other reasons and the problem went away until now and that's about 7 months ago  I had everything disconnected about two weeks ago since I got another table. Can/t imagine what went wrong unless it just gave out. There were no signs of failure and like I said I just shut down last night with no problem.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

If an Inspiron Desktop then a solid amber light indicates a PSU problem or a component failure.

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Solid-Amber-power-light-computer-won-t-boot-Dell-Inpiron-530/m-p/3501316

#7 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

I'm still at it. Trying every test I can read about & try  to get me an answer, It just came to mind that over the past 7 or 8 days leading up to my current problem, my monitor for a couple of seconds was showing colored horizontal lines (not bars but lines) on the top of the screen while the rest of the surface was  showing a light green hew with a blue border all kind of fuzzy Then after a few seconds, it would go to normal and the computer functioned until the current problem. Now when I turn the computer on I get that green & blue stuff as I described and it last  about 3 seconds. Wonder iif any of that will determine what the problem is or support a theory,  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Can you swap a new monitor. If a laptop use it as an external monitor.

#9 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

I have an HP MacBook. I'll need your help on how to hook it up,

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Are you saying you have a MacBook that you want to connect to the Windows comptuer? I don't know how to do that. The Inspiron is a desktop, correct? If a laptop you would need a standalone monitor to check if the graphics are defective.

#11 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

Sorry, I misunderstood you, I thought you meant if I had a laptop I could somehow hook it up to the desktop Later on, I will borrow my wife's monitor from her desktop but right now she is printing her family tree and that will take  a while After I try it and i'll be back to you. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

Personally, I think it's a PSU or component problem and not a monitor problem if the light is amber as you posted.

#13 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Yes, it is steady Amber & I am inclined to bow to experience & agree with you. After all, I'll be 9 years in July that I've had this unit and the only thing I replaced is the hard drive because of one bad spot, so I can't really complain. As I understand it, the CPU rarely goes bad  I took it out and cleaned the pins with contact cleaner. So the only thing left is the Motherboard & the Power Supply. The fan on the Power Supply works well and my gut tells me that it's the motherboard, I read a few other accounts of this and the consensus says the motherboard.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

If you have a multimeter you can test the PSU but sometimes a PSU will check good but bad when under a load. See the below video.

#15 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:37 PM

I've made the decision to replace both the power supply & motherboard. As i've said, the consensus tells me it the motherboard and the power supply is relatively inexpensive & with those two I would think the problem would be solved (hopefully). The only question I have left is on the power supply. Will it be OK if I upgrade from 240 to 480?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users