Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Program?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

I was wondering if there was a program you could put onto an external drive to help back up the computer? Not sure how much sense that makes. Like every time you connect it to the computer it syncs and adds anything new? If there is such a thing, free would be best but I'll look at paid versions as well. Thanks

Edited by SolusUmbra, 23 February 2018 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Acronis true image works great. Not sure it adds things automatically when u connect it though.

Edited by bruinator, 23 February 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

You can install a portable version of any backup / restore program onto the external drive.  You can have an icon both on "C drive" and "D drive" that points to said utility.  My best guess is that you will start the utility and kick into gear whatever pre-plan you managed to wedge into the backup / restore utility.

Actually, there is a way to eat your cake and have your cake, sort of.

If you make that usb-connected ext HD a boot drive, i.e., from a backup / restore utility ISO such as Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, EaseUS, AOMEI just to name a few, "burn" a boot onto the ext HD, I think you can tell most UEFIs and almost all BIOS setups to boot this ext HD if it is connected and found.  Once that ext HD and the b/r utility has been booted, you simply activate whatever script or pre-plan you set up.  Because the "burn is en toto" -- make sure you do that burn before you save anything onto that ext hd; if there is any data already on that ext hd, copy such off onto another device, because again, the "burn is en toto".

Edited by RolandJS, 23 February 2018 - 03:56 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users