Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anp56

Anp56

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hello all.

This has probably been asked before. What, in your opinions is a decent free anti virus. I have Windows Defender.

That should read opinions!!

Thanks

Les

EDIT, Fixed Title

Edited by boopme, 23 February 2018 - 02:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

you already have the best one.....don't fix what isn't broken

#3 Les2427

Les2427

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Thank you Mikey

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

If i used one it would have to be MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

Windows Defender is great for free.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

If i used one it would have to be MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

It would help if you post the specific version of malwarebytes you are suggesting.

Malwarebytes 3.3.1 does indeed have a antivirus, but the 2.2.1 version does not include the antivirus.

Most people wish to run Malwarbytes 3.3.1 along with Home Defender which had a problem early on which was disabling Home Defender.  There was a work around which involved using the Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center option.  There is an advantage in running the two programs together, every antivirus has different signatures and different ways they handle scanning which widens your protection when the two are run together.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

Spoiler

there are flaws to running both also, what if Windows defender finds something and malware-bytes finds the same thing and you delete it with one and not the other? now they're fighting for which program gets to quarantine it.

IF I were running windows I would be able to tell you a version but since I'm Not using windows, I can't really give someone a specific version, and even if I had done so, the newer versions have antivirus built in, so, did that not answer the question? The Question was for Opinions, so I gave my opinion on which I thought was best.

And who knows, maybe someone else reading this may only want a removal tool rather than something like windows defender, avast, panda, what have you.

Also, Malwarebytes turned off the other Antivirus because you do not need to have two running at the same time, it will cause issues with deleting and quarantining files. It Wasn't a "problem" it did that on purpose. 

Edited by Viper_Security, 25 February 2018 - 01:08 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Once you make a decision, remember that an anti-virus solution is not enough since most do not offer comprehensive protection...be sure to read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
real-time protection.

BTW...although the marketing of Malwarebytes 3.x Premium "claims" it can be used as a replacement for an existing anti-virus, it is not an anti-virus...see here. Malwarebytes has limitations and lacks many constructs that a traditional anti-virus applications employ...it is not a historical anti malware solution...meaning it does not detect legacy malware, it does not target scripted malware, document files, media files and it is incapable of of removing malicious code that has been prepended or injected into legitimate files (i.e. file infectors, Trojan patches). The Anti-Exploit module is primarily for protection against software exploitation... it does not protect against social engineering, the human exploit often resulting from fraud, spam and phishing emails.

This is a more detailed explanation by David H. Lipman, a trusted Security Colleague and Malware Researcher/Analyst.

MBAM is not an anti virus application and does not replace an an anti virus application. MBAM is an adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application.

In its role as a adjunct, complimentary, anti malware application it has limitations in aspects that the anti virus application performs in its role. MBAM does not target script files...It also does not target document files...media files...MBAM targets mainly non-viral malware. The exception being a virus dropper (a malware file that drops a virus and starts a virus infection but is not infected with the virus) and worms (such as Internet worms and AutoRun worms). MBAM is incapable of removing malicious code that has been prepended, appended or cavity injected into a legitimate file. That means if a file infecting virus infects a legitimate file MBAM will be unable to remove the malicious code...MBAM is not a historical anti malware solution. That means it will not target old malware. It's intent is to target 0-Day malware. Malware that is infecting computers Today with malware found in-the-wild, Today...With all the things that that MBAM can not do, it is not an anti virus application and it remains an anti malware application which relegates it to its complimentary position.

Dave provides the same explanation in this topic at Malwarebytes where he provides assistance on the forums board.

That indicates to me that Malwarebytes 3.x Premium is still better served as an adjunct anti-malware solution to complement and strengthen your protection when utilizing a traditional anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users