Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified Network - Ethernet connected on Windows10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 klandry

klandry

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Title says most of it. It must be on the computer itself because other wired and wifi connections to this modem. It is model Arris DG 2470
Here is what I have tried so far:
-Unplug modem and computer for at least 10 seconds and restart
-Try a different ethernet cord and different port on the modem. (light next to port is green when plugged in)
-Uninstall and reinstall all network devices and update drivers all followed by restarts
-a virus scan(nothing found)
-Disable ipv6
-Tried manual network connection for ipv4 as follows:
ip: 192.168.1.111
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gate: 192.168.1.1
dns
primary dns: 8.8.8.8
secondary dns: 8.8.4.4
-Tried 'ipconfig /release' with error "Error occurred while releasing interface ethernet : an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint"
-If i do 'ipconfig /release' after putting in manual network settings the error is "The operation is failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"
- Windows diagnostic came up with "the default gateway is not available"

Here is my ipconfig /all with the default network settings. 
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NightHawk
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 9C-5C-8E-89-66-5E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2dba:f881:a668:176f%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.23.111(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 194796686
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-A3-FD-61-9C-5C-8E-89-66-5E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

What else can I try?

UPDATE: I tried connecting a phone and setting it to be a wifi receiver. Now there are 2 Unidentified Networks available on the computer. The troubleshooter give error "The ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration"

Edited by klandry, 23 February 2018 - 06:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kyman73

kyman73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

Is the NIC bad?  Try setting it back to auto and connecting to your phone hotspot or some other network.  How far along the connection process do you get?  Can you see the SSID of your wifi?  Does it connect but give no internet when yout put in the PW?  etc.

Edited by kyman73, 23 February 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#3 klandry

klandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:39 PM

Is the NIC bad?  Try setting it back to auto and connecting to your phone hotspot or some other network.  How far along the connection process do you get?  Can you see the SSID of your wifi?  Does it connect but give no internet when yout put in the PW?  etc.

It sounds like you are talking in terms of wifi, my computer does not have a wifi card installed, only a wired network connection on the motherboard.

It says "Unidentified Network" as far as the network detection goes, and also says "Limited"

edit: As far as the NIC goes, I havn't had the chance to try and install a network card to this to see if its a mobo problem. 

Edited by klandry, 23 February 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#4 kyman73

kyman73

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

Try safe mode with networking.  Try a new or known good ethernet cable, if connected via a wall socket make sure you try a different one or use another machine to verify wall socket is working. Try your desktop connected to any other router/network, make sure DHCP is enabled on your modem.  Would be some of the things I'd try that you haven't mentioned yet.

Just saw your edit, 

Here is a page of tips for that error, I'm inexperienced in that area but have used the winsock reset command in the past to fix a similar issue.  Apologies.. http://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/

Edited by kyman73, 23 February 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#5 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:03 PM

Hi, the link from Kyman73, should get you going. I would try the netsh winsock reset and the

netsh int ip reset, cmds first. Be sure to restart, then check your connection.

#6 klandry

klandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:16 PM

I tried a different machine on the same cord and socket on the modem and it worked fine. I unfortuntly don't have another way to try another connection on the non-working desktop because we only have access to one wired connection. When we tried the phone acting as wifi card on it, the wifi connection came up as "Unidentified Network"

I just tried to 2 netsh commands(netsh winsock reset and the netsh int ip reset), they were verified as successful and I restarted. There was no change in the connection status. 

I have tried everything in that other post from uninstalling and reinstalling the network device and updating its drivers. I am tempted to download the drivers to a disk/usb and install from there just to really make sure its the most up to date drivers.

I also have been trying to start in safe mode with networking but I havn't been able to choose that on the options list when restarting for safe mode because my peripherals arent working. Once I have solved that and checked the safe mode network connection I'll update here. 

#7 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

Is your network set to public?

Edited by xrobwx, 24 February 2018 - 07:49 PM.

7581204627.png

#8 klandry

klandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

The unidentified network comes up as public. It is also public on other devices. 

I just double checked on the modem, DHCP Server is turned on. The problem computer is not coming up in the modem's client list. 

I also just noticed my Panda Antivirus had firewall on, so I turned it off and restarted and still no change. 

I also just started it in safe mode with networking and It is still "ethernet public network" that is unidentified. 

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

Hi, I suspect some firewall problems? Do you also have windows defender firewall active? Open a cmd as admin, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator".

At the prompt type:-

ping 192.168.1.1 (press enter) what happens?

Also at the prompt copy and paste this cmd:-

wmic nic get AdapterType, AutoSense, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PNPDeviceID,PowerManagementSupported, Speed, StatusInfo /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, please post the notepad output here.

Edited by jenae, 24 February 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

I have this exact same issue at work with one computer. The network displays Public and I cannot get it to change to private. I should say, I got it to change to Private with a Poweshell commandlet but it changes back. 

Powershell Admin

Get-NetConnectionProfile

then-

Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 13 -NetworkCategory Private

I am not asking for help or trying to hijack thread but I am watching. :)

Edited by xrobwx, 24 February 2018 - 07:54 PM.

7581204627.png

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

Hi xrobwx, Open a cmd as admin and copy paste this cmd:-

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles" /s > 0 & notepad 0 

Press enter. please post the notepad output here. Look at the profile name (should be your ssid) for the right one, then note what value data is applied to "category"

#12 klandry

klandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

I ended up reinstalling windows and all is well again, I was immediately connected. Thanks so much for everyones help.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

To prevent another reinstall in the future I would recommend you create a complete disk image to a USB external drive using any of the following programs. Each lets you create a bootable USB/CD should the computer no longer boot due to a failed hard drive or file system corruption. For a failed drive you replace the drive, boot the recover media, attach the USB external and restore the image. No formatting and partitioning required. This lets you be back up in minutes vs hours doing clean install, reinstalling all your programs, and updates. Make disk images based on how many Window updates have been installed. It's also a very good idea to create a complete disk image before Windows 10 gives you a major upgrade every 6 months. The next due in April of this year.

Easeus and Aomei also allow for file/folder backups, both incremental and differential with Easeus being the most intuitive.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#14 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

Hi xrobwx, Open a cmd as admin and copy paste this cmd:-

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles" /s > 0 & notepad 0 

Press enter. please post the notepad output here. Look at the profile name (should be your ssid) for the right one, then note what value data is applied to "category"

I'll post tomorrow as the computer in question is at work. Thanks!

update: At work, ran the command, a notepad windows opened and it was completely blank.

Edited by xrobwx, 26 February 2018 - 08:31 AM.

7581204627.png

#15 klandry

klandry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

To prevent another reinstall in the future I would recommend you create a complete disk image to a USB external drive using any of the following programs. Each lets you create a bootable USB/CD should the computer no longer boot due to a failed hard drive or file system corruption. For a failed drive you replace the drive, boot the recover media, attach the USB external and restore the image. No formatting and partitioning required. This lets you be back up in minutes vs hours doing clean install, reinstalling all your programs, and updates. Make disk images based on how many Window updates have been installed. It's also a very good idea to create a complete disk image before Windows 10 gives you a major upgrade every 6 months. The next due in April of this year.

Easeus and Aomei also allow for file/folder backups, both incremental and differential with Easeus being the most intuitive.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

Thanks for mentioning this! A complete reinstall was probably not necessary in my case, except for my own oversight of never having created a backup image. I didn't have any system restore point saved just out of neglect. Lesson learned.

Edited by klandry, 26 February 2018 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users