Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corrupt photos

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tyler4402

tyler4402

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hi all

I have a problem, when I open my dedicated photo storage drive and brows to a folder usually the photos open ok, but occasionally some thumbnails show as multicolour and corrupt some others have a red X in place of the picture, the latest photo with the red X shows in a folder I have just opened it is a single photo in an album of stored photos in a folder which has been stable for about 8 years, has anybody any ideas what could cause this? Regards Robert  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

You can try running chkdsk /r on the partition where the photos are stored.

The causes of corruption are varied, Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html .

Louis

#3 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

Hi Lous

Thanks for your quick reply and your interest, I did a chkdsk a couple of months ago and everything was fine, after searching online I do find that most people think that the type of corruption which scrambles the photo or makes a section of it grey is caused by the user transferring the images by card reader and not using the camera software, so I have now started using a data cable to transfer the images from the camera to the PC, but I cannot find a reason why some thumbnails show a red X instead of the image, especially in an album which has been ok for years. when a thumbnail with a red X is clicked upon it usually says "unknown file extension" while still showing the .jpg underneath the missing image, so maybe its the extension which is somehow corrupt?  Regards Robert

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:35 AM

Hope you have other backups ?

Otherwise it could be vast issues to something simple.

1/ Try another Program to Open them.

2/ Ensure the Hard Drive has no issues.

3/ Try opening the Photos on another PC.

This may give clues or narrow it down.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,010 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

Also try rebuilding your icon cache.

#6 tyler4402

tyler4402
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the ideas, I do have my photos backed up on a memory stick and as I have some old IDE hard drives so I could use one of those to make another storage drive, I have also tried opening them with XnView and the corrupted files still showed as corrupt, I know the hdd is ok, although I don't have access to another PC so I could try them on the TV, not sure what you mean by the (icon Cash?)  regards Robert 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users