Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Italics Used Everywhere?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:18 AM

Just today, various things have been showing up in italics. I first noticed it on Google, but it also shows up when I access my Yahoo! e-mail account. Also, the Windows XP logoff screen (where it says "Saving Your Settings" "Windows is Shutting Down", etc) Not all webpages are effected and the effect seems to croos browsers (see both IE and Firefox below).

Any ideas? This is annoying the heck out of me!

Internet Explorer
Posted Image

Firefox
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:55 AM

This might sound a little wacky, but since you say this crosses browsers this might work. It's a shot in the dark as it were.

Go to your desktop and right click on an empty area, then click on properties. Now click on the appearances tab and then the advanced button.

Investigate the following items by the drop-down menu that you get under item when you click on the little arrow to the right:

Menu
Message Box
Selected Items
Tool Tip

It is possible that one or more of these has been changed to italic type causing your problem. However, this is just a guess on my part. It certainly won't hurt to check them one by one and see what changes they make or don't make. You can always reverse it if it does something you don't want.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:54 AM

Thanks Orang Blossom.

No. That was the first thing I checked. Any other shots in the dark?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:14 AM

Okay, I have one more, and it's an even longer shot in the dark.

Start to Control panel to Network and Internet Connections to Internet Options

Click on General Tab then the Fonts button at the bottom. Look under Web Page and see what font is selected there: it might have changed to an Italic Font, and the little window does say that it will affect not only IE but documents that don't have a font specified.

If that doesn't fix it, the only other thing I can think of would be a system restore and I don't know if that would work in this case.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

I think that the key here is that it does show up in the "windows is shutting down screen". This, to me, seems to eliminate your browser(s) as a source of the problem.

I'd suspect one of 3 things:
1) A malware infection
2) A corruption of your fonts
3) A stray change to your settings.

So, first I'd suggest that you review what you've done on the system recently to see if there's any particular program or change that may have caused this.

Next, I'd conduct a free online scan here: http://safety.live.com/
Pay particular attention to the malware and the registry entries that it identifies. This might give you a clue about a change that caused this behavior.

After that, I'd suggest that you run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog (here's a detailed How-To: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

Then, if all that doesn't fix the problem, I'd suggest a repair install of XP. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

The ony significant actions I've taken recently are:

Upgrade Avast! Antivirus Home to Avast Antivirus Professional
Defragmented all hard disks
uninstalled SimCity 3000 Unlimited
updated Windows via Windows Update

Besides that, I've only been performing tasks which do every day multiple times.

I've already performed a system restore, to no avail.

I ran full system scan for viruses prior to this problem and it returned no results. Ditto Adaware SE Personal, MS Defender, & Zone Alarm Pro's built in antispyware. I'll run it all again when I get home. I'll try your suggestions then, too.

Danke schön

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

Bitte schön

The removal of the Sims could have done this - or the Windows Update could have done it (don't know which one, so I can't be sure about it).

It sounds like your system should be clean - but the scan will also clear out your temp files and will check your registry.

I'm thinking that it's a change to a registry entry somewhere - but exactly where will be hard to determine. The SFC.EXE won't fix the registry - but the repair install will.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

I don't know if it's too late, but I have an idea...
Use the "use last settings that worked" thing or whatever, and just get to the same way as booting in safe mode and whatnot.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'm thinking that it's a change to a registry entry somewhere - but exactly where will be hard to determine.

Methinks I have a recent backup of the registry, possibly from as recent as this weekend. What if I were to merge the backup into to registry? (this is a backup of the whole registry, so it would likely restore keys which were deleted by SimCity's uninstallation, but CCleaner should be able to weed them out again. What'd ya think?)

#10 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

hi,

best make a new backup of the reg before restoring the one from the weekend, then if all goes 'pear-shaped', you can at least get back to where you are now!

best of luck

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

Wiser words are rarely spoken...

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

This is strange because if you notice the words "WEB" and "MORE" are in bold, nit in itallic.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

Enthusiast:

I'm afraid you've lost me. Where are you seeing the words "Web" and "More"? I'll be the first to admit my eyes are none of the best :thumbsup: ...

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

In the screen shot showing the Google page in post 1.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

Ah, thanks. Now I see it. Hmm... indeed. Let me check something:

I just checked the source code for those two words in Google in Firefox, and "Web" and "More" are specifically coded as Bold Face which might explain why those words didn't change to Italics.

<b>Web</b>

<b><a href="/intl/en/options/" class="q" onclick="this.blur();return togDisp(event);">more »</a></b><script><!--

Just investigated in Internet Explorer:

Both words there are also specified as bold:

<b><a href="/intl/en/options/" class=q onclick="this.blur();return togDisp(event);">more »</a></b><script><!--

<b>Web</b>

Conclusion:

Whatever is causing the problem, it appears that words that specify Bold or other styles in the coding are not affected.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users