Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help choose between 3 CPU's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

It's time to build a new PC, current CPU is an Intel i& 875k from 2010.

My 2 heaviest requirements are Music Production (recording) & multitasking all the usual desktop apps (Office, internet). The desktop apps aren't heavy duty but I tend to run everything I need at the same time & switch between 6 in W10.

Here's the trouble I'm having with CPU choice:

Anything AMD: I've been using Intel since the 386. I've had a lifetime of being let down by AMD (speed & compatibility). To be fair, thread-ripper appears to be the game changer but I'm still not comfortable with the brand. The worst computers I've owned or fixed have had an AMD CPU.

Anything I9 or x299: Yup, I watched the Linus video & I have to agree, it does look like a rushed response to Thread-ripper. The last thing I want at the core of my computer is a rushed CPU.....& rushed motherboards to support.

The best 1151CL Intel CPU: I think it's the 8700K. Is this my safe option? It will be a lot quicker than what I have, I'm not a gamer. It's the brand that has never let me down (never owned any of the i9/X299 stuff that seems a bit questionable).

I want a fast, responsive & reliable PC. My 875K was all these things up to about 6 months ago, now it's just producing more & more problems as time goes by, even after a format & fresh setup.

What do you think?

Edited by ozzynotwood, 23 February 2018 - 08:38 AM.

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0 (TPM 2.0), i7 8700K, 32gb HyperX Fury, H100i CPU Cooler, GTX1050 Ti WindforceBenQ GL2580(H) x3, 970 PRO SSD, WD Red HDD x3, Seasonic Focus Gold 650w, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow, W10 Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

I'm an intel guy through and through much like you. On Newegg, the i7 8700K is 350 dollars and its competitor the 1800x is 380 dollars. The 8700K is a better chip overall. Better single core performance (which is still the most important factor in CPU performance overall) and better overclocking performance. The 8700K is a great chip but I'd also recommend the i5 8600K which is on sale for 235 dollars on Newegg. It will do all that you need it to do and more. 

Ryzen is a great chip. AMD did a great job. You wouldn't go wrong with choosing a 1700x or 1800x. They have more cores and threads (8 cores 16 threads to 6 cores 12 threads) at a competitive price. I do believe that more cores and threads is the way to go future-proofing wise. Multi-core performance will continue to improve as software takes better advantage of this. That being said, it's been a very slow improvement. 

Don't bother with the i9. Total waste of money for what you want to do. I vote 8600K if you want to save some money or the 8700K if you want to be more future proof and don't mind spending the extra money.

#3 ozzynotwood

ozzynotwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, the more I look into it, the more I'm thinking the 8700K is the way to go.

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2018 - 12:05 PM.

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0 (TPM 2.0), i7 8700K, 32gb HyperX Fury, H100i CPU Cooler, GTX1050 Ti WindforceBenQ GL2580(H) x3, 970 PRO SSD, WD Red HDD x3, Seasonic Focus Gold 650w, Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow, W10 Pro.

#4 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

You definitely won't regret it. 

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

There are no reasons go get Intel. Current Intel CPU's are badly broken because of Meltdown and Spectre bugs. Additionally ThreadRipper is better than Intel's LGA20xx platform. For cheaper ones, AM4 platform is much more capable for heavy use than Intel's LGA11xx platform because:

- No Meltdown bug at all

- Almost immune to Spectre bug

- NVME x4 bus from CPU

- More cores

- Better multithreading (=better SMT)

- Much better upgrade path (Zen2+Zen 3), Intel is dead end

- Zen 2 will be much better than i7-8700K

If your "AMD experience" is based on something like "AMD CPU + cheapest PSU + cheapest RAM + cheapest motherboard + cheapest case  boxed cooler", then I should remind you we are living year 2018.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 23 February 2018 - 10:56 AM.

#6 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

Spectre and meltdown have been patched and it wasn't all that big of a deal to the average user anyway. Chip for chip, Intel is still better than AMD. By the time Zen 2 comes out, Intel will have a better chip than that anyway. AMD is definitely competing though and that's good for everyone. It's not like it used to be where AMD was an afterthought but I would still go Intel. 

Threadripper is not better than intel's LGA20xx platform lol. Again it's competitive but workstation/editing rigs are going to be rocking skylake-e more than they would be using threadripper. It's a hot chip and doesn't OC as well. That's AMD in a nutshell.

Like I said earlier, you'll be happy with either coffee lake or ryzen but the 8700K is better than the 1800x and its cheaper. 

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

For me i say wait, as if you buy now prices for parts are bad, really bad.

Even for music production

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Spectre and meltdown have been patched and it wasn't all that big of a deal to the average user anyway. Chip for chip, Intel is still better than AMD. By the time Zen 2 comes out, Intel will have a better chip than that anyway. AMD is definitely competing though and that's good for everyone. It's not like it used to be where AMD was an afterthought but I would still go Intel. 

Threadripper is not better than intel's LGA20xx platform lol. Again it's competitive but workstation/editing rigs are going to be rocking skylake-e more than they would be using threadripper. It's a hot chip and doesn't OC as well. That's AMD in a nutshell.

Like I said earlier, you'll be happy with either coffee lake or ryzen but the 8700K is better than the 1800x and its cheaper. 

Spectre and Meltdown patches are very big deal for certain uses. I have noticed way over 20x slowdowns for certain cases after Meltdown and Spectre patches. Chip for chip, AMD already almost on par with Intel and because Intel won't have any major upgrade for H1/2019, Zen 2 will most probably be better than anything  Intel have at that time. I have heard this "Intel will have better blah blah" quite long time and still Intel hasn't done almost anything else than raising clock speeds (and adding more cores with Coffee Lake) since 2011 Sandy Bridge. So it's hard to see why Zen 2 won't get past Intel.

For same price, Threadripper offers more cores and better overall CPU power than Intel. Additionally Threadripper platform offers much more PCI Express connectivity. Workstation rigs may use more Intel but that has absolutely nothing to do with CPU speed or platform. Some Intel biased people buy Intel even if AMD is faster, cheaper and cooler. That simple.

In fact Intel chips run much hotter than AMD chips. I suggest you upgrade your knowledge to year 2018 level. For overclocking, very few people actually overclock workstation rigs.

Just checked prices and 1800X is cheaper than 8700K.

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:12 AM

"...Just checked prices and 1800X is cheaper than 8700K."

As well it should be. :)

Are you honestly recommending TR4 solutions costing up to $300-$400 more in CPU cost and $250 more in MB costs (over a Z370) for casual home use because of the terms 'music production'? (Assuming no one would recommend the ludicrous 1900X 8 core solution at $450 cpu cost over the R7 models from a cost analysis)

For casual home use/music production/video editing now, if the 8700K seems a tad steep in price, who would not look hard at an R5-1600, or, perhaps the R5-2600 successor with it's 100-200 MHz base/turbo clock increases coming soon with X470 MB....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

I have the 8700K, it is very fast and OC pretty well. So I definitely recommend i7-8700K, through you can't go wrong with 1800X (about the same price).

Unless you would reuse your old GPU, you should wait until the price comes down, it's not rare to find a GPU selling at 2x-3x of the original price.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users