Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front USB 3.0 recognizes flash drive but not external drives

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Loonmario

Loonmario

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

I've searched around and it seems the usb 3.0 port on the front of the computer doesn't provide enough power to recognize an external hard drive but it will recognize a flash drive and also a mouse.  Another computer I have recognizes both drives just fine.  Both motherboards have the latest BIOS and drivers.  Is this normal? 

Problem computer

ASUS H110M-E/M.2 LGA 1151 Intel H110 motherboard

COUGAR MG100 micro-atx case

Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz LGA 1151

Crucial 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)

250GB Samsung SSD

CORSAIR CX Series CX450 450W PSU

Geforce GTX 560 TI video card

Asus Xonar DSX sound card

Other computer

GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H (rev. 3.0) LGA 1150 Intel B85 motherboard

COUGAR MG100 micro-atx case

Intel Pentium G3258 Haswell Dual-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150

x2 ADATA XPG V1.0 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

240GB A-data SSD

Rosewill Stallion Series 500W PSU

Geforce GTX 550 TI video card

Asus Xonar DGX sound card

Edited by Loonmario, 23 February 2018 - 06:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

Is the drive detected on one of the back USB 3.0 ports?

I have had this problem where for some reason the computer would lock up on one of the front USB ports and not the other. 

You can try the following and see if it helps. Remove all USB devices except your mouse, keyboard, and printer if installed via USB. Download DeviceCleanupCMD v0.6. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In the folder will be a folder called X64. Copy this to the root of C:

Open an elevated command prompt. If you have Windows 10 pressing Windows + X will give you either command as admin or Powershell as admin. If Powershell you can change this to command following this guide.

At the elevated command prompt type:

cd c:\x64
devicecleanupcmd *

This will delete all non-present devices on the USB ports. Sometimes drivers on the ports can conflict with each other. When you attach a device to the USB ports after using the command the driver will install again.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Cabling for case front USB ports is sometimes poor quality / high resistance so available power at the port is reduced. 

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

I have had this problem where for some reason the computer would lock up on one of the front USB ports and not the other. 

I do not mean to side track this thread, but I ran into the same issue when I modified the I/O ports on the front of my case, I installed a ground wire on the board between the usb ports and the audio/power switch board. Then all the USB 3.0 & 2.0 ports started working as they should now

Edited by Joe C, 23 February 2018 - 10:17 AM.

#5 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

Is the drive detected on one of the back USB 3.0 ports?

You can try the following and see if it helps. Remove all USB devices except your mouse, keyboard, and printer if installed via USB. Download DeviceCleanupCMD v0.6. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In the folder will be a folder called X64. Copy this to the root of C:

Open an elevated command prompt. If you have Windows 10 pressing Windows + X will give you either command as admin or Powershell as admin. If Powershell you can change this to command following this guide.

At the elevated command prompt type:

cd c:\x64
devicecleanupcmd *

This will delete all non-present devices on the USB ports. Sometimes drivers on the ports can conflict with each other. When you attach a device to the USB ports after using the command the driver will install again.

Thanks for responding.  Tried it but had no luck.

Cabling for case front USB ports is sometimes poor quality / high resistance so available power at the port is reduced. 

What bothers me is that both cases are identical.  I wonder if it's the motherboard.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,019 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

It is possible that the Gigabyte board may supply more power to the ports with its ON/OFF charge feature.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Page 1-6 in the manual for this Asus board states:

Due to the design of the Intel
®
100 series chipset, all USB devices connected to the USB
2.0 and USB 3.0 ports are controlled by the xHCI controller. Some legacy USB devices
must update their firmware for better compatibility.

Is this an old external drive your using?

Also try changing the settings in the USB 3.0 Boost, possibly to normal mode as shown on the link...

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012136/

#8 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I just called Asus support and the rep said that is normal behavior that the front usb port doesn't provide enough power because it's not directly connected to the motherboard like the rear usb ports are.  Looking at the BIOS settings on the Asus motherboard I can only find settings for Enable/disable legacy USB support.  It was enabled so I disabled it to see what happens and still nothing so enabled it again.  I don't see any options for USB 3.0 Boost or charging.  The BIOS shows that all USB 3.0 ports are enabled.  I can't find anything else related to USB ports that I can play around with.

When plugged into the rear USB 3.0 port it shows up in the BIOS as a boot device.  It doesn't show up when plugged into the front.

I've tested it with these external drives which aren't that old and are all USB 3.0 but I have not attempted any firmware updates (I've never had a reason to do so in the past).

WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (bought 2017)

WD 750GB Elements Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (can't remember when bought)

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (bought 2014)

I can live with this but it just bugs me a little.

Edited by Loonmario, 24 February 2018 - 01:58 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,650 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

USB 3.0 Boost is available in ASUS AI System Suite.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H110M-E-M-2/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012780/

#10 Loonmario

Loonmario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:44 PM

For some reason my AI Suite has a USB 3.0 Boost tab but it says to re-install it from the dvd.   Neither the dvd or the website has the USB 3.0 app feature for download for my motherboard.  Everything else on the AI Suite works and I've updated everything I can.  There was a ASUS Ai Charger app that I installed and that didn't change anything either.

#11 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

Un-install the current AI Suite, reboot and download "Utilities" to get the AI Suite. Try installing that to get the USB Boost

Edited by Joe C, 25 February 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

He said it badly; but, I'm with RQT; even though they may be the same model case, I'll bet there is a difference between the two front panel USB3 cables and the newer PC can't supply enough current (juice) to spinup the portable drives because it gets lowered going down the wire(s).  You might; though, want to check and see if it is properly seated to your system board.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users