Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvdrw Missing In Hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 christophcoevoet

christophcoevoet

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

Hi,

Last week I did a checkdisk of my harddisk-drives C, D & E.
After restarting Windows XP, I found my DVDRW missing in explorer.
Also in the Hardwareproperties the entry is completely lost!!!

When I insert a CD or DVD, my notebook does not start to play any of this (which is at that moment normal). Under hardware the entry of DVD/CD is gone, not even listed with a question-mark!

I have a "Medion MD 42200"-notebook and the DVDplayer is "Pioneer DVR-K14L".

I searched the net after solutions:
Downloaded at the pioneeer-site the driver of DVR-K14L (after rebooting and nothing started yet) and installing it causes: 'Target drive not found'
In Regedit I looked up the entries LowerFilter & UpperFilter, deleted the values there.
After rebooting the lowerfilter is always filled, Upperfilter remains empty.

Has anyone another idea that I might have overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Christoph

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:20 AM

hi, christoph,

try checking your cables and power supply are connected correctly to your dvd drive. can u check it in another computer and see if it is detected ok there? (might be impossible being a notebook!)

good luck

Edited by rubiconeye, 02 October 2006 - 04:21 AM.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:31 AM

Do you have a driver cd that came with the notebook?

Does the IDE controller that the dvd/cd is on show up in the device manager?

Are there any yellow or red warning icons anywhere in the control panel?

#4 christophcoevoet

christophcoevoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:08 AM

* I have an installation-DVD that comes with the notebook, not a driver-CD.
-> I downloaded the driver for my Pioneer DVDwriter, but an error 'Target drive not found' show up when I run the exe.

* The IDE-controllers seem to work fine in the device manager
Primary & Secundary IDE-channel, also an Intel® 8280 1DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller

* Red warning icon only with 1394-networkcard (but I use an wireless connection through my Dlink Router)

All the rest looks fine...

I noticed that my DVDcase is not 100% fitting well in the notebook. Maybe through transportation it lost an IDE-connection. Can't be the power supply because I can still eject/insert DVD's.
Should I open the notebook for further surgery? Don't like very much opening such things because of the consequences...

Thanks a lot!

#5 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:57 AM

hi, Christoph,

I noticed that my DVDcase is not 100% fitting well in the notebook. Maybe through transportation it lost an IDE-connection. Can't be the power supply because I can still eject/insert DVD's.
Should I open the notebook for further surgery? Don't like very much opening such things because of the consequences...

i wouldnt take the notebook apart unless you feel confident, they are easy to break and expensive to fix! rather, if you know anyone with the same type of notebook, swap drives round to see what works. sometimes if they are loose fitting they dont quite connect with the socket at the back of the slot, or the pins dont meet enough to matter. if the socket at the back of the drive bay looks pushed back, bent, you could maybe try to prise it forward. if the pins are in the back of the dvd drive itself, then check none are bent over.

hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users