Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Extremely Long time to POST then BSOD Error Info Interrupts / Reboots

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Valiarius

Valiarius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:33 AM

Hello everyone,

I am posting here because my Windows 10 PC is taking anywhere from 30 minutes to more than an hour to POST (one single beep). After it POSTs it sometimes reboots immediately before reaching the POST screen, other times it goes into Windows and after some 20 minutes, it goes into a BSOD, which never completes gathering the errors information (reaches 20%) and then it automatically reboots, restarting the process all over again. I will now include my system information:

CPU: 2700K i7

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD4-B3 (Rev 1.0)

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC Windforce (4GB version)

Hard Drive: Toshiba 250 GB SSD (Dont remember model Number)

RAM: 4 x 4 GB G. Skill Ripjaws 2300 

Power Supply: Diablotek 650 Watt

I am now going to list what I have tried:

Removed everything except the Power Supply and MOBO: Took a very long time to get a beep / other times it got a beep rather quickly.

Added all possible combinations of 1, 2, 3 or 4 RAM sticks: Same as above

Added CPU: Same as above, got video output from motherboard HDMI port, reboots then takes long time to POST again.

Added SSD: Same as above, got BSOD, reboots and same as above.

Added videocard: Same as above.

When I finally got to Windows, I logged on, Search function/Cortana does not work. Can't get error files/etc because it causes a BSOD (not sure if related). Windows update to 1709 update is pending from last time I actually got a boot and was able to get into Windows 10 for more than a couple hours a month ago.I can't get update completed because the restart fails and doesn't complete the Windows 10 update, it's right there waiting for a reboot when it does actually turn on again.

Sometimes I get no POST at all and end up giving up on it for a few days and keep the PC turned off until I can muster the energy to try to troubleshoot again.

This is my only real PC, I do have a small Windows 10 "Nextbook" tablet that can barely run Youtube videos and is useless for any real work I used to do from my PC.

These problems have persisted for more than a couple months now, and it all started after a couple of blackouts where I live caused by the power grid being damaged and being repaired after hurricane Maria. I do use surge protectors, but I am not totally confident in them protecting my stuff completely. To note, these blackouts are never announced, they just "happen" with no warning, so can't reliably keep computer turned off when they occur as I wish I could.

Thanks for any assistance/advice you might have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:51 AM

G'day Valiarius, and Welcome to BC

If this is hardware related the advice will need to come from someone else here.

I am possibly assuming a lot by suggesting you do a clean install of Windows. The fact that it actually booted to windows a month ago, yet cortana wasnt working makes me think that your install of windows is kaput.

It is a good idea to at least rule out that possibility.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

The guy who wrote that tutorial, britechguy, will hopefully chime in here to answer any questions about the procedures described in the tutorial that you may have.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

Looks like one beep is a good thing at least.

https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/GIGABYTE-GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-REV.-1.0

.I can't get update completed because the restart fails and doesn't complete the Windows 10 update, it's right there waiting for a reboot when it does actually turn on again.

Let me just give you a few ideas as I've never worked on what looks to be a custom system.

Sounds like it may be a BIOS Update preventing the Upgrade but cannot be positive.  Can you look at the BIOS Version and compare that to what the oem is offering?  Also look into Graphics Driver issues with your system via google.

This would be the newest Non UEFI BIOS Update:

"F10 1.72 MB 2012/02/20"

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-rev-10#support-dl

Refer to this also if you get advice on the BIOS

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/WebPage/19/download-center.html

I've had some success running this tool to tell me if there was a BIOS issue.  

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Power Outages can cause all kinds of problems, you need a UPS, and to be on the safe side don't leave the computer on 24/7.  We have lots of issues like this where I live.  It's just not worth the problems to me so I turn off my pc every day, if not a few times a day.

Hopefully someone with similar issues will chime in soon.

Edited by pcpunk, 23 February 2018 - 09:43 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Valiarius

Valiarius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

Hello, I'm back with an update:

My computer is most definitely toast, here is a list of what I did and what happened:

After my first post I attempted replacing the Power Supply with a new one, still the same as before, boots into Windows 10 sometimes and then it crashes. Tried resetting the CMOS , no go. I reseated the CPU again, nothing. So, I decided to take this a step further, I attempted a clean install of Windows 10, from a USB stick. Everything was going fine, until midway through the installation, I got a BSOD, which totally wrecked my installation of Windows 10, so now I can't even go into Windows as it's not installed anymore, I only get a message that states Windows is corrupted and I have to resintall, but I can't resintall because I get a different BSOD every single time. This prompted me to attempt to completely wipe my C drive, but no go, Windows couldn't intall anyway. I even went as far as attempting to install in another known good hard drive and the same thing happened. So now I am writing this looking at the dead paperweight my PC has become. I need advice, good advice on how to determine if my CPU or MOBO are bad. As these are LGA 1155 parts I do not have spares or know anyone willing to lend me their motherboard or CPU to test what is wrong.

Edited by Valiarius, 12 March 2018 - 02:11 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Did you follow any of my advice above?  I assume from what you said above that you tried all this already?  Unfortunately it looks as though something is wrong with your Mother Board .

1. Take all Connectors Off the Motherboard and reseat them, Including:

RAM: I believe you've already tried different combinations of this.

Power Button

Main Power: You've done this because you've installed a new PSU.

Fans

And anything else you can reconnect easily.

2 . You could also Test the Mother Board but I cannot help with that, I would have to follow some directions somewhere just like you would. 

3. Did you try Clearing the CMOS?  How to Clear the CMOS

4. Boot a Linux Live Medium from the computer after doing the Reseat from #1 and #3.  This will tell us if the computer is working bypassing the HDD.

5. Did you look at the BIOS Version?  Don't know if this matters but you said that 1709 was in the chamber ready to go.  Not that this is your problem, but may as well be prepared once the computer is working.  Once up and working, we don't know if 1709 will clean install, so just remember that about the BIOS.

6. Make sure in the future you have a good surge protector of about 1800 Joules or higher if possible.

Sorry that's all I got.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users