Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrium Reflect Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Is it easy to Upgrade from 6.3.1 to the new 7.1?  Don't want to mess up what I already have.

And, how do I do it.  Do I need to go to the Site and Download it, because I tried to Update from the Tool but it would not do that.

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

I just did it yesterday...when I open Macrium, it tells me that there is an update...I click to install it.

Louis

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

When I open it says it wants to update so I choose OK, and it opens and does nothing.  I wonder if you have the same version as I do?  Because I've been ignoring the updates, so maybe I'm to far behind in the Version to Update?

I even tried to select "About Macrium" but cannot update from there either.  I wonder if I can Install Over the current Version, or do I need to Uninstall and Reinstall?

Edited by pcpunk, 22 February 2018 - 09:31 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:15 PM

In  the top left header, click "Other Tasks"  >Check for Updates. If that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall a fresh download.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

I did that too ranchhand_, and to reinstall would mean losing some of my Backup Links for lack of better term.   

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "backup links"; are you creating complete images of your main partition and system partition? If so, during the backup process those should have been saved to an exterior drive of some kind. They are complete and self-contained, you will not lose those by reinstalling Reflect. Again, maybe I don't understand what you are doing.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

"Shortcut to Macrium Backup Definition"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Is it easy to Upgrade from 6.3.1 to the new 7.1?  Don't want to mess up what I already have.

Wow, the version I have is quite old.  Here is the first #7 release date.

"Macrium Reflect v7.0.1994 - 27th February 2017 - Initial Release"

I wonder if I can just keep using mine, or as I asked, can I Upgrade Over the current version and not lose my Backup Links? Arrrggg

I guess if I want the newer version I'll need to take the chance of losing my Shortcuts.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

Yes, that version is severely outdated.

I assume that you are making differential or incremental backups. Unfortunately I have never used those; I only make full image backups twice monthly and they have saved my bacon so many times I lost count. However...a "safety" workaround would be to make a full image backup of your drive; also make an emergency restore disk. Test the image to make sure it is good. Now go ahead and reinstall Macrium Reflect. First, try just to overwrite the existing; I suspect that will work, but in case it does not then resort to remove/reinstall. When done try to access your shortcut backups. I would guess that they would still be there and Reflect would be able to access them.

If they are not, just use your full image backup to restore and you are back to where you were (although that still doesn't solve your problem).

If all you lose your shortcuts in reinstalling, just immediately make a new backup and you are safe. If there is some kind of data you want on the older backups, make copies of it first before reinstalling.

[EDIT]: syntax changes

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 February 2018 - 09:02 AM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

Sounds like good advice Ranchhand, I'll try that.  Not worried about my images as they all have worked in the past, and I have multiple Recovery Media/Macrium type.  Though, I guess you are suggesting to test them with the new program.  I would think there would be a warning about this if there was an issue.  I am hoping the Shortcuts will work, though I don't even know if I need to Upgrade lol.  What the heck do I need all this new stuff for LOL?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

Post back with the results, I'd like to know how it goes.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

The backup definition XML files should still work on the newer version. From your link the XML definition files are store in the Macrium folder. Copy these to a flash drive or another folder on your hard drive. Install the new version. Click on the backup definitions tab and then the green plus icon to add a definition file. Browse to your definition file and select it. Do this for all your definition files. Once there are all imported click on each and then the Create Desktop Shortcut icon to create the icon if clicking on the existing Desktop shortcut icons does not launch your backup.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Thanks John, you guys saved me again!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh