Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS and/or BIOS no longer accepts changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 night5runner

night5runner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure what happened. At some point I thought it a good idea to add a password to my Bios or Cmos. I still remember the password and can get into it, but changes can no longer be made. This is a problem because one of my fans isn't running. At some point I changed the fan control in Bios from 100% all the time, to temperature controlled. I wanted to go back to 100% case fan running, but when I get into the Bios it doesn't let me change anything. The Bios is: Award Software International, Inc. F6 1/9/2014 The baseboard is: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. It's running windows 10 So from my understanding I press "del" key during restart to access the Bios. When I get there and enter my password, it says I'm in CMOS. I don't know the difference between Bios and CMOS and if that's an issue. But I used to be able to make changes. Now I can't. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

Unplug the system. Open the case. Remove the CMOS battery. It is round and about the size of a nickel. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and put the battery back in.

See if you can save changes then

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 night5runner

night5runner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

This motherboard has the battery hidden behind the graphics card. I'm unfamiliar with how the clip works holding the AMD GTX gpu, whether I push it in, slide to a side etc. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2. So I think I'll have a professional temporarily take out the CMOS battery when I replace the case fans with higher quality ones. Thanks anyway.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Motherboards usually have a jumper you move with the power unplugged. Check your manual. See page 18. It says to either place a jumper on the two pins or short the pins for a couple of seconds with a metal object. Be sure to ground yourself on some bare metal of the case before doing this.

#5 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

This motherboard has the battery hidden behind the graphics card. I'm unfamiliar with how the clip works holding the AMD GTX gpu, whether I push it in, slide to a side etc. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2. So I think I'll have a professional temporarily take out the CMOS battery when I replace the case fans with higher quality ones. Thanks anyway.

First do this: giga_screw.jpg

Then this: gigabyte.jpg

Or JohnC's advice:giga_clear_cmos.jpg

CMOS = BIOS

7581204627.png

#6 night5runner

night5runner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

Good to know CMOS=BIOS. I downloaded the owner's manual and found that page. I watched a few youtube videos on using the jumper to reset CMOS. I'm just not comfortable trying it. You just power off, unplug, then get a screwdriver and touch the connection in the diagram? I need to take the PC in for fan replacements so I'll have them reset CMOS then. I may try it next time. Thanks for the help anyhow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users