Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ay0xb

Ay0xb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Hi! I bought an external hard drive lately with 230 GB and it looks like it was moved from a PC and it's plugged inside a box anyways, the first time I plug it it with my laptop I had a few files that said Program files and stuff and I  tried to format it and it said that Windows was unable to finish format. I tried the chkdsk command in CMD but IT NEVER WORKED and I go to Disk Management and delete select the drive and delete the volume then it becomes unallocated then I right click on it and choose New simple Volume then next next and choose NTFS and then I finish and it says The format did not complete successfully. please help me and thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

The USB bridge card in the enclosure could be bad, a bad cable, or the drive itself is bad. This looks like a used drive.

Download Seatools for Windows and do the short test. If it passes the short test do the long test.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

How to Use Seatools for Windows

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

if it is a desktop hard drive, your computer may not be able to supply enough power to power the drive over the USB cable,

you may need to buy an enclosure with an external power supply....

here is a random example.....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0788BQGB6/ref=s9_acsd_newrz_hd_bw_b1LRlfv_c_x_w/132-6938929-3693907?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=G5QZE655VFSAYZ2EEF6B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=05966f87-c8b9-5989-88a3-acec6b9a702f&pf_rd_i=1233054011

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

Maybe luck will be with you, is it possible to return the drive?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users