Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing WIFI dead zones

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wblan22

wblan22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

My current ISP is an AT&T fiber connection with the router/modem on the ground floor. One bedroom on the ground floor and a second one upstairs lose their WiFi connection regularly. I have gotten great help from bleeping computer community in the past, hoping some folks can help with this as well.

I would prefer to avoid WiFi extenders - but I am open to the option. My home is pre-wired for Ethernet outlets but I need to connect them somehow in the master control box. Assuming I do this correctly, could I then plug in my spare router to another ethernet outlet in the house to create an additional hotspot? Or would these two routers possibly conflict with each other if the are on the same ISP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

My home is pre-wired for Ethernet outlets but I need to connect them somehow in the master control box. Assuming I do this correctly, could I then plug in my spare router to another ethernet outlet in the house to create an additional hotspot?

you dont have to plug it into an ethernet cable.....

if you configure the router properly, you can use it as a bridge to boost the signal wirelessly where ever you want,

all you would need to do is plug it into a plug (power)

Edited by mikey11, 22 February 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

The most technically correct way to do this, since you have Ethernet in place, would be to use multiple Access Points linked back to your router. I'd recommend Ubiquiti UniFi units as powerful and friendly to use, but many other options exist. Some will mount in the outlet box for the Ethernet cable and give you a passthrough Ethernet as well, invisible and pretty slick but the radios in those are pretty short range, you may need more of them that higher powered units. The key is Access Points instead of Routers. You will save yourself a fair bit of grief going that way. Turn off the radio in your router when you do this though, as most AP's are designed to network and cooperate with more of their own type. The link at your master control box should be a small Ethernet switch - with PoE compatible with your AP's to make it simple (don't have to find a power plug everywhere you have an AP). Ubiquiti's model is at inwall.ubnt.com (I have not used one of these yet.) and probably plays well with other UniFi devices. I have used the "frisbee" style units to cover very large houses with 2-3 APs (3 story, 10,000+ sq ft). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users