Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Seems to Crash My Machine - Please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LEIP

LEIP

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

I have been experiencing numerous shutdown (kernel 41 & nvidia stopped responding - don't recall the exact error here), BSOD and auto repair loop issues (it seems to go in that order). It all seems to revolve around gaming and am looking for some troubleshooting support. I posted this on BP but have recently proved that the MoBo and BIOS are not to blame. My rig is below...

On the most recent crash to auto repair loop I wiped my SSD and have very slowly added programs back to the machine. For a few days now everything has been stable and working correctly. This is why I am discounting the MoBo and BIOS issue.

I am at the point where I have everything loaded on to the machine, with the exception of NVIDIA's GE Force Experience, Precision X, BF4 and Origin. Since my issues seem to happen while gaming, I left everything I use to game off the machine. But come on...this is one of the reasons I have a PC :) I have the windows installed NVIDIA drivers and have left those alone.

Now I would like to start adding at least BF4 and Origin (only b/c I have to have this) back on. But I know what is likely to happen, I will be back at the first sentence of my post...

As an aside I have noticed something strange and since it is a glitch I figured it's worth mentioning as I'm not sure if it's related. I have my desktop power settings at 30 min for monitor off and 2 hours for the computer to go to sleep. Well it never, ever, works. My machine used to stay on for days, despite double and triple checking those settings. I have them back at those setting, without the aforementioned programs installed on the PC and they are working perfectly. Computer goes to sleep as it should and wakes up without issue.

Any help on where to start troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading my post.

Thanks

LEIP

• Operating System
    W10 x64
  • Antivirus Software
    Bitdefender Total Security 2018
  • Firewall
    Bitdefender and Linksys WRT1900ACS
  • Computer
    Homemade
  • CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K
  • Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
  • Ram
    Corsair Vengance DDR3 - 2x4GB
  • Storage
    OCZ Vector 240GB
  • Video Card
    EVGA/GTX 660Ti/2048 MB x2
  • Soundcard
    Onboard - Realtek
  • Power Supply
    Corsair TX 850W
  • Case
    CoolMaster Mid-Size Case
edit: grammar

Edited by LEIP, 22 February 2018 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jarlmaster47

jarlmaster47

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

Try your GPU's one at a time and see if the issue goes away. It may be that one of your cards is failing. Those are very outdated GPU's. I think you're probably right that its not the mobo or bios. It probably isn't the cpu. It might be the PSU. If you can get your hands on one and try it out that would be great.

Another thing to consider is just building a new system. Your's is quite outdated and an overall upgrade would be nice.

#3 LEIP

LEIP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Try your GPU's one at a time and see if the issue goes away. It may be that one of your cards is failing. Those are very outdated GPU's. I think you're probably right that its not the mobo or bios. It probably isn't the cpu. It might be the PSU. If you can get your hands on one and try it out that would be great.

Another thing to consider is just building a new system. Your's is quite outdated and an overall upgrade would be nice.

Thank you! Crashed again - in the process of researching to build. I'm throwing in the towel on this machine.

#4 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

Have you checked so it's not the GPU overheating? Sounds like that might be the problem. 

Download http://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

and there you can check what temperatures your systems are at (+ a lot of other useful info), maybe getting rid of the dust from the GPU heat-sink would help if that's the problem.

#5 jandikar

jandikar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

Thank you! Crashed again - in the process of researching to build. I'm throwing in the towel on this machine.

First Download temp monitoring software to check which component is causing more problem. Is may be the heat issue and for that HWmonitor and GPU-Z are best. Try both programs. 

Edited by jandikar, 07 March 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#6 Vicin

Vicin

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Maybe this will help. This is my own post for troubleshooting a similar problem.

My computer was slowing down randomly now and then. The solution was a new PSU (well, I raided one from an old computer)

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/672171/requesting-assistance-on-troubleshooting-sporadic-slowdown-of-computer/#entry4456438

A symptom that afterwards seem obvious was that you could hear the fans and hard drives struggling to keep up and when the problems appeared you could hear the HDD spin down. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users