Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Security Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

My mom has a windows 7 computer 64bit, and sadly I don't know much else right now. Last time I worked on her computer I put Avast, and Malwarebytes on for her to use (the free versions). However she is constantly complaining about  Avast and all the pop up adds she has to deal with (I don't seem to have the problem), and she wants me to take the program off. So far she has not had the same problem with malwarebytes. Does anyone have any ideas of what free security program I can have her use? Also she has been talking about some kind of program that if someone hacks your computer they aren't suppose to be able to get your personal information? I haven't heard of this one before.

Just realized I probably should of posted this in the security programs forum. haha

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2018 - 01:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

Use Microsoft Security Essentials.......

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/14210/security-essentials-download

It won't have any popups bothering you

#3 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

I got to ask my mom she said the name of the program she wants me to put on is called VTN, but can't remember the long name of it, any clue?

Edit

After looking around online I think she means VPN.

Edited by SolusUmbra, 22 February 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

If you put Avast in Silent mode you wont see the ads anymore.

To do that right click on the Avast icon in the system tray by the clock and check Silent Mode

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:05 AM

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of warning/detecting the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program where I also provide comments as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

Once you make a decision, remember that an anti-virus solution is not enough since most do not offer comprehensive protection...be sure to read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.

As with most other security programs, there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best VPN implementation for all situations. There are advantages and disadvantages...each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

VPN Service Providers:

Free vs. Paid VPNs:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 SolusUmbra

SolusUmbra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:00 PM

Been reading through your post about all the different programs, its funny I use to think DOS was confusing. :crazy:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

:hysterical:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif