Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WAN- L2/L3 questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rocking23nf

rocking23nf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

morning, I currently have the following

Office A - 100 employees, network ips for desktops 10.0.1.**. servers 10.0.0.**

Office B - 100 employees, network IPs for desktops 10.0.2.**, servers 10.1.0.**

Both offices have their own file servers and are accessible to employees in either city at anytime.

Both offices have dedicated internet lines as well.

Avaya IP office in each city, office A is primary, B is secondary.

I have a 50MB L3 WAN between the cities, I have a proposal to upgrade to 100MB WAN at 1/3rd the cost from a provider in my area, but they say its L2 not L3.

The proposal is very interesting, I would save 20,000 a year, and have double the speed in theory,

my knowledge of L2 and L3 switching is not strong, would moving from a L3 to L2 cause me any major difficulties with the above setup?  Would I lose any thing by making this switch? such as changes to the IP phones.    The competing provider is telling me no I wont, but I don't trust salesmen, as I have seen and heard a lot of BS in my 20 years of IT.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

As long as you have an edge router at each site it should make no difference (except in the WAN configs of the edge routers). No internal addresses or functions should change. If you depend on the connection for Internet access, though, make sure that is provided (with clear examples) by your L2 WAN provider. In many cases these are a pure "private wire" type of connection with no access to the Internet or any other outside network. You may have to add Internet access as a separate connection, which is great for security but not so much for cost and complexity.

#3 rocking23nf

rocking23nf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

we have core routers in each city, and separate internet lines in each city, part of this proposed upgrade is to upgrade internet as well.

We do have a PRI at each location for phones, but I understand that will work with a L2 WAN but if we ever move to SIP trucking we need a L3 WAN apparently

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

If you move your phones to SIP trunking you can trunk directly between the two sites over either the L2 WAN or an L3 WAN, avoiding your carrier entirely for calls between the two. The configurations are very nearly identical. In fact, defining your first SIP trunk between the sites would be a great way to ease into SIP trunking, making sure your equipment (and phone folks) are up to the task. You can even configure IP phones to "home" to both phone systems, for extreme redundancy if you were to lose a phone system, but this is easier over L2 WAN. Then feed one or both sites over your "enhanced" Internet connections to your upstream SIP provider (one site is cheaper, both sites more redundant). Find a good IP phone guy locally that is familiar with your phone system. I get some really curious "information" coming from various carriers and VoIP providers. There is an astonishing amount of misinformation out there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users