Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 ports not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sep780

sep780

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

I have a Lenovo ideapad laptop running Windows 8. It has 1 USB 3.0 port on the left and 2 USB 2.0 ports on the right. Both of the 2.0 ports just quit working. The 3.0 port still works. At least for now.

I saw in another post the suggestion to uninstall all USB drivers and restart the computer. I did that. Nothing.

I don't know if this next bit is relevant at all, but I'm giving it to you in case it is.
My mouse was plugged into a 2.0 port. After being on for a while, I would get an error message saying that the device wasn't recognized. Shortly after that, my mouse would stop working until I put the computer into sleep mode and woke it back up. (Not sure of the technical term, so please work with me.) I got annoyed by that and and moved my mouse to the 3.0 port on the other side. (Thankfully it has a long cord.) I'm starting to get the same error with the 3.0 port, but it hasn't made my mouse quit working yet.

For right at the moment, this isn't urgent. It will be a problem when I have to plug in my external hard drive to back up files and/or have to plug in my external CD/DVD drive to get something off of a CD-Rom. Mostly because I HATE the touch pad. (The touch pad and I don't work well together.)

I saw somebody asking people to download Specky (sp?) and post the results, so I did that already for you. They're below. I even enclosed a snip of the  entire Specky screen since I don't know if the link will do anything.

How do I fix this? Do I just need to get a new laptop with my tax return? I can't afford to bring my computer in to be looked at by professional computer repair people, at least not until I get my tax return.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/l6PcrLHSfavjRniCJXQzp3F

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Have you opened device manager and taken a look at whether there are any devices listed that are either unknown and/or shown with a yellow exclamation point on them?

I have often found that completely uninstalling said devices, then doing a "Scan for Hardware Changes" using the button at the top that looks like a monitor with a magnifying glass over it, will resolve things once the devices (and their drivers) are reinstalled.

I've had issues off and on with USB 2.0 on a couple of machines and had to do this repeatedly.  Then, mysteriously, after having needed to do this intermittently for a couple of months everything just began "to stick" rather than working for a while then cutting out, requiring the next uninstall/scan for hardware changes cycle.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 sep780

sep780
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

The only thing I saw with an exclamation point is something called "SM Bus Controller" but it's small and kinda looks like it's part of the icon.
I found things that are unknown. Well, to me at least.
A whole list of things that start "Intel®", to be honest, everything under System Devices.
the 2 items under Software devices, something called "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller," the entire section called "Lenovo Vhid Device" (and the reason it has 2 things with the exact same name.) something called IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers 

I also have 4 things under Processors with the exact same name. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or not, so I'm not messing with them.

Other then the SM Bus Controller, nothing that looks like it has a warning or anything in or on the icon.

I hadn't tried (or even known about) the Scan for Hardware Changes thing. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem.

I'm willing to post screen shots *more likely snips) of all technical stuff I don't understand that people who do understand it thinks may be part of the issue.

#4 sep780

sep780
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations me. That error has now made it so I can't use my mouse at all. However, the 3.0 drive does work with a flash drive, while the 2.0 drives don't. (I went by the lights on the flash drive.)

#5 sep780

sep780
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

I may be showing off my ignorance here, but ........ Is it possible the problem was caused by the mouse? The brand for it is Verbatim, Model: 98106." It's a brand I'm not familiar with and only got because my wireless Logitech mouse was starting to not work properly (I need to use the touch pad in place of the button on the mouse itself when dragging the screen or anything else.

#6 alex scouse

alex scouse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:11 AM

try a different mouse, then uninstall drivers for old mouse. Or maybe try system restore. Make sure usbs are enabled in the bios

#7 sep780

sep780
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:52 PM

I'm using a different mouse now, but the 2.0 drives still don't work.
If I do a system restore, will I have to reinstall Windows?

What do you mean by "in the bios"?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

What is the model number of the Lenovo ideapad? A System Restore will not require you to reinstall Windows. This is different than a Refresh/Reset. 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu, select Device Manager from the menu.

Scroll down the list of options to Universal Serial Bus controllers and double click on it.

Each of the USB Root Hubs has a tab for Power Management, open each Root Hub and click/tap on the Power Management tab

There will be a check box for Allow computer to turn off this device off to save power, remove the check mark from this option.

Another option would be to open the Device Manager, right click on the computer icon (the first option in the list) and select Scan for hardware changes.  This can turn on any devices which are shut down to conserve energy.

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2018 - 09:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dmccoyks

dmccoyks

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

This may be helpful

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2830154/connected-usb-device-is-not-detected-in-windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users