Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very odd network issue - Internet only works when youtube is using the network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doggie015

doggie015

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:21 AM

As per the title. I can only access the internet when I am having an active connection to youtube. This does not affect other devices on the same network and does not affect local network connectivity so I can set up an old laptop to act as a relay (That diploma of IT networking paid off!) - but I would still like to solve this issue as multiplayer gaming UDP traffic does not work through the proxy I set up.

I've tried resetting every network related thing, I've tried reinstalling my OS multiple times, I have tried removing and reinstalling drivers, I have tried basically everything I can think of. Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

As an added bonus I first asked this question on Superuser.com but it turns out they hate actually reading the original question so I have copy/pasted it from there to here. I hope that you lot can at least be a bit more helpful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

What antivirus are you using?

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

PLrbrFc.png

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the commands below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter after each command.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int reset all

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

Shut down the computer and then restart it to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 doggie015

doggie015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

I am running Windows Defender (The one what comes with Windows 10)

I have tried those commands in an admin command prompt and aside from netsh int reset all not being found as a command, the others have executed successfully. I didn't even know that nbtstat was a thing - so I think that may have been the issue. I'll report back if it occurs again but for now it seems to be resolved. Thanks!

#4 doggie015

doggie015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:27 PM

Turns out, it hasn't been completely resolved - Loading facebook also fixes it and the time between youtube traffic and the problem reoccuring has been extended.

#5 doggie015

doggie015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

Small update - I am downloading Windows 10 media, backing up my drivers and pulling a clean install.

In the meantime, I turned my little proxy laptop into a VPN server because for some bizarre reason local connectivity is not impacted when the internet cuts out so I can use a VPN to the proxy laptop which adds ~2ms to the overall latency and get perfect internet access.

I am certain at this point that there is something on the affected machine that seems to be affecting it. Since I can't narrow down exactly what it is, I'm going for the nuclear option and starting from scratch to determine if it is software or hardware.

I very much doubt the hardware side as that would also be affecting local connectivity which, again, is completely unaffected.

I will also be performing diagnostics on the affected machine using the OEM diagnostic software. As my computer is fairly new, it would still be under warranty if it is, somehow, a hardware failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users