Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lcd Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hello. Ive never really purchased an LCD screen (or any monitor for that matter, ive probably had my CRT since the 90's when i was just a kid) Anyway; i was wondering what makes a good montior (particularly a decent lcd). Once i get a job and have my computer built i want to start saving up for a new monitor.

Ill probably be looking in the 200 - 250 range. It depends on how much im makeing and how long i want to save. If i can get a decent monitor for cheaper or even a little more i will.

What i want to know is. What should i look for in a good general purpose montior? Most of the time i just browse the web, but i do like to fire up some video games quite often, even though i wouldn't consider my self a "hardcore" gamer. Are there any guide lines i want to follow? Anything in particular i should look for?

Thank you, as always, for you help.

Lucius

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

There's lot's of guides for this around the web - but the most telling thing is to actually view them yourself.

Take a trip down to the local computer superstore and look at what they've got. Generally they're all showing the same picture - so you can compare them fairly easily. Pick the one that looks best to you - then research it on the web to ensure that that brand doesn't have any known problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

I echo what usasma said, there are many guides around the web, but the best thing to do is actually see LCD's. There were two things I considered when I bought my LCD a few months ago. Contrast ratio of at least 700:1 and a LCD of at least 8ms response time or less. However, the best thing to do is see them operating and judge for yourself.

3939.png

#4 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:03 PM

All right, thanks guys. Ill have to look around and see if i can find a local place to check out some moniters. I might be getting a job at the local fedex terminal (interview tomorrow) so hopefully ill be able to do this sooner than i expected.

thanks for all the advice.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:42 AM

A warning: They lie. Just because they claim 5 ms response time and 1000:1 contrast ratio doesn't mean they actually have it. Reading a few reviews is a good idea, and getting over to the store and having a look.

Good brands are Viewsonic (the best), Sony, Acer, Samsung, Dell, Nec.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

Oh, BTW, position yourself as if the monitor was on your desktop and ignore all the other displays around you.

17" is a good size for occasional computer work (that's what my wife's office uses), but for prolonged work, go with at least a 19". Above 19" the price differential gets pretty big! I'm looking at 22 to 27 inch monitors right now (I've got vision problems) and although they're coming down in price they're still way too expensive!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

Thank you usasma and Mr Alpha, ill keep that in mind when looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users