Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Man fined $320K over self-service checkout habit you may be guilty of too

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:39 AM

If you've ever accidentally - or intentionally - swiped an item as a less expensive one at the self-service checkout, you may want to be more careful.

A German man recently copped a $320,000 fine after he put through more than $70 worth of veal as considerably less expensive fruit.

Think that's a bit excessive?

The Munich district court worked out how much the 58-year-old businessman should be fined according to his salary of $37,500 per month, according to ABC News

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/39249728/self-service-checkout-thief-fined-300k-in-munich/

Now thats what I call justice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

I,ll be careful then , im looking at a possible $600,000 fine if i did it over there  , here id get a slap on the wrist or bond.

Probably no different to our Armed Robbery suspects that get taken to court here and say Oh ! i had a bad upbringing , cohersed , i was on Ice , i wont name any Race or Culture , but if they did it in the USA its a Felony and dont expect to be out of Jail any sooner than 10Yrs Min.

Overall we know the what the Consequences will be prior to the Crime , so dont do it.

Hopefully in the near future the Government and Judges here in Australia get their Act together and apply the correct Penalties and a start would be - more Jails / Gaols.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 12,866 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:01 AM

Jails / Gaols are not the answer, Locking people up fails, well for some they are because they are just bad and nothing will change that.

Re-education and rehabilitation of not just the offender but the cause, and in most cases its poverty lack of education and basically for most people lack of hope.

Most people are honest and given the opportunity thru better education better health care better housing better food and jobs wont think of crime. 

Most prisons are about punishment not rehabilitation, actually most prisons are about making money and lots of it even in Australia. Prisons are often brutal places and no place for most young offenders, prisons are also not a place to warehouse mentally ill people, most mentally ill people commit crimes because of their illness  if these people had proper medical care and medication most would never commit a crime. If we give the young criminal better education and a chance to lead a normal life rather than go further into crime he will take it most of the time  then that is what we must do.

Edited by NickAu, 22 February 2018 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users