Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two different drives and Windows 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

OK so, to start off Im running low on drive space. Out of 221GB available drive space {Total space 250GB} after OS install over a 2 year period, I am somehow down to 45GB I have gone through and found only three major online games I play regulary are the culprits but not the only ones are those three {Skyrim Legendary + 110 mods, Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO with latest update, Sims 3 + expansion packs up to Island Paradise}

Now, the 4th culprit is obviously Windows Updates, all those shadow copies, et al. But now I wonder

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6420 series rig,m it works great, its a refurb, does the job I want perfectly and I am very happy with it. Now if only I had more drive space...

With this laptop I can easily get a module in complete form from Parts People certified by Dell to get a 320GB second drive into this rig in place of the internal DVDWR/CDRW drive, I dont mind having to lose one drive and replace it with a hard drive. I have a backup already.

But I want to know, how will windows 7 react to such a drive ? Will it automatically start putting stuff on the D drive ? Will I have to move anything from the C {currently my only drive} to the new D {addtional 320GB space} ?

I havent made any purchases of additional drives just yet, I want to be sure I know what Im getting into before making any purchases.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

Windows do not automatically shift stuff.

After adding such a drive, move your non-program files to the new drive. SO that space remains in your old drive.

Installing a program/game on two different drives IMO is not a good thing as it slows down the running speed of the application.

You can also redirect your applications to save data to the new drive(browser/torrent/download manager).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:09 AM

The system is fine as far as free space today goes...45GB is more than sufficient for a 221GB existing Windows partition.  15% of total partition space is the generally accepted maxim for Windows on a less-than-gigantic (1TB and above) hard drive.

No need to move any programs.

I would just start ensuring that all data files are henceforth saved to the new drive (after it has been formatted/partitioned).

Louis

#4 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

Thanks much guys! These answers answer all my questions!

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users