Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scammer Received Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MayaMay

MayaMay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Hi Everyone!

So my mother received a fake "Microsoft Infected, Call I-833-557-9555" or something along that line. She called that number and spoke to someone and ended up giving him remote access to her laptop. I believe he lead her to a helpme.com site, which is obviously a fake phishing site. But since she gave him access to her laptop, she hung up on him once he asked her for her credit card info for $400 anti virus.

I wanted to know what steps I should take for her laptop. Its acting normal but Im afraid it maybe infected and maybe our wifi as well. 

*edit : I did download malawarebytes and did a scan, nothing serious was found 

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2018 - 06:02 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:57 PM

Bad mistake!

I have seen these scammers permanently lock people out of their systems or put it in a startup repair loop too many times.

Have you rebooted the system yet?

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 MayaMay

MayaMay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

Bad mistake!

I have seen these scammers permanently lock people out of their systems or put it in a startup repair loop too many times.

Have you rebooted the system yet?

She said she rebooted the laptop, I also did after the malaware scan.

It works fine, I was just worried that he may still have access to her laptop. 

Shes obviously very easy target, I don't want anyone spying on her while shes logging on to her bank acct or something 

As well as our wifi network 

Edited by MayaMay, 21 February 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#4 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

I had a co-workers mother in law get locked out from these scammers.   If she has teamviewer installed, i would remove and make sure remote desktop is disabled to be on the safe side.   The scammer changed her password and locked her out.  I had to take the pc home and fix it.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#5 VBCONZ

VBCONZ

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:35 AM

Run malwarebytes and a really good antivirus (maybe eset / nod32 online)

1 - Go to Programs and Applications - check to see what was installed recently ( teamviewer, logme in, vnc etc). Uninstall them.

2 - Download CCleaner - got to the tools section and check for start ups that shouldn't be there.

3 - Change her password.

4 - Change your wifi password and router admin password.

5 - Assume that any saved passwords were compromised so change passwords for email, website logins, bank logs ins etc

6 - Go to

7 - Keep an eye on computer usage for a while.

Often these types of scammers are lazy and low tech. They are after the money not remote access but cover your bases by doing the above suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users