Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Support Verification email????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saphira2021

Saphira2021

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

I received a Microsoft Support Verification email times 3 within 2 minutes. All would be well, except I was driving at the time, didn't request it and this particular email doesn't have Microsoft account. All had the same access code. I am wondering what is going on. the email came from maccount@microsoft.com. 

is this a problem and I need to do something? or do i ignore it?

Would appreciate a response. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,252 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

Spam, and probably malicious spam.

You will not get unsolicited e-mail from Microsoft Support - ever.  Delete it and move along with life.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Saphira2021

Saphira2021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

Spam, and probably malicious spam.

You will not get unsolicited e-mail from Microsoft Support - ever.  Delete it and move along with life.

thank you. done

#4 speeednet

speeednet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Login has Occurred on26/02/2018 @7:23 EST
From IP 34.125.12.1 Geo
location Found : Eastern Russia
If this is not you Please call E mail
support team
+[likely malicious phone number redacted]

Regards
Hotmail
Security.

This is an system automated generated email. Please do
not reply on it.

[likely malicious link redacted]

Comments?

Edited by britechguy, 01 March 2018 - 02:49 PM.
Removal of phone number and click-through link that are likely malicious

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,252 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:48 PM

Most likely spam, and malicious spam.   That click-through link goes to a site made to look all the world like Outlook.com/Hotmail, but it most certainly is not either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,901 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:07 AM

While there are legitimate emails from the Microsoft account team, email phishing scams using the Microsoft name are very common so you have to be very careful. A legitimate email address domain from Microsoft is @accountprotection.microsoft.com.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 amills1152

amills1152

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Hey guys -- I got the same email but somehow, it's connected to my Sony Playstation, let me explain.

A few days ago I set up my Playstion 4 account and they texted me a verification code to use. Earlier today, however, from that same number, came another text that said 'Your verification code is (whatever numbers)'. Shortly thereafter, I received an email from the same address Saphira got, maccount@microsoft.com saying the same exact thing, 'Your verification code is (whatever numbers)'. I, of course, didn't reply to either but I am kind of concerned with the fact that I received that text from the same number that my actual Sony verification code came through on just a couple days ago -- is that indicative of anything serious? It just struck me as really odd, I googled it but couldn't find anyone else who had experienced that, this post here was actually the only thing I could find about that address maccount@microsoft.com

Should I be worried that something more is going on?

(P.S. - just wanted to make mention that the verification code Sony actually sent me that I used for my account a couple days ago, was not the same code that I was texted this morning or emailed from that maccount@microsoft address... are they just trying to get me to go input this b.s. code so that they can gain access to my Playstation account?)

Thanks guys!

Amanda

Edited by amills1152, 18 April 2018 - 10:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users